Download these free plans to build a $35,000 DIY house

Originally published at: Download these free plans to build a $35,000 DIY house | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Those costs have been skyrocketing lately.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.housingwire.com/articles/insane-lumber-prices-mean-new-homes-cost-24k-more/amp/

3 Likes

Granted, you still need a plot of land to build on

And – if you want to keep labour costs down in building a durable, sturdy, and up-to-code house – a bunch of friends in the construction trades who are willing to help out for free.

I’m all for tiny houses and guides to building them like this, but I’m also going to repeat my mantra about every one of these articles that there’s a lot of financial and social capital involved in these projects that usually goes unmentioned.

7 Likes

That’s the whole plot of the movie! Well not the whole plot. But a significant part of it.

2 Likes

Lookit the stairs/bookshelves!!!

3 Likes

The part that jumped out at me was that it took two years to build the house. So, there’s also the cost of finding/having somewhere else to live while construction is in progress. Now I’m wondering about the costs associated with an alternative from this movie:

2 Likes

Definitely an improvement over some of the plans I see come in as a county employee of a building related office. Some of the ones I see are simply drawn on binder paper.

But please get an architect to look over your plans first.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.