Drinking heavy water

What about Heavy Metal? According to the video it looks like Heavy Water is linked to bad hair problems too …

8 Likes

And in any given gravitational field, the extra mass gives rise to a commensurate increase in weight.

I don’t know what that guy is exercised about either. I wish I knew, because I love to be a nitpicking prick. I’d join right in if I knew what about.

4 Likes

Poseur!
3H218O or GTFO!

9 Likes

And never forget Johnny.

Johnny was a chemist’s son
But Johnny is no more.
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.

11 Likes

7H224O goes fast around here.

5 Likes

I’ll have some D2O too…

5 Likes

No no, you will die, if you drink enough of it. Too much water is poisonous, heavy or not.

10 Likes

The dose makes the poison.

7 Likes

A man walks into a bar and says “I’ll have some H2O!” The barman puts a full glass down in from him and the man drinks it down.

The man standing next to him says “I’ll have some H2O too!” He drinks the glass the barman puts in front of him and dies.

21 Likes

wow, flashback! :+1:

3 Likes

#why not both?

11 Likes

Came for the Thomas Dolby reference. Was disappointed.
“The red light flicker, sonar weak, air valves hissing open
Half her pressure blown away, flounder in the ocean
See the Winter boys drinking heavy water from a stone”

7 Likes

It’s radium water or nothing!

13 Likes

Sensible. If you replaced all your hydrogen with deuterium, you’d probably end up I guess about 10% heavier.

3 Likes

Back in the days when I actually worked with 3H, I amused myself by trying to work out what would happen if you had 1cc of tritium oxide at the bottom of a centrifuge tube. Just because the betas only average about 5keV doesn’t mean that not a lot would happen. The stuff only has a half life of 12.3 years, so drinking it would be problematic; it would turn to steam faster than you could get it it into the tube.

5 Likes

Of course you can drink heavy water! I remember seeing this documentary when I was a kid:

10 Likes

Folks used to not mind getting tritium intakes because the prescription was drink lots of beer…
https://www.google.com/amp/io9.gizmodo.com/drinking-a-beer-can-save-you-from-radiation-poisoning-1648955835/amp

7 Likes

I’ve never tasted deuterium, but I have been mad enough to chew neutronium

7 Likes

And in a constant gravitational field, weight is a linear function of mass. Ipso facto, the extra neutrons in deuterium do indeed make heavy water weigh more than standard water.

3 Likes

Oh yes this is true, we had to expense beer following a few minor cases of exposure to the stuff. Of course, water is more or less as effective, but beer is more popular with the workforce. Nowadays we would have to do a risk assessment - and most likely have to administer water and a pharmaceutical diuretic. Because that was in the days when people were allowed to go out and drink several pints of beer at lunchtime and then come back and operate machinery. Not on my watch though.
I recall once in a board meeting the sales director asking me “but this radiation stuff is dangerous, isn’t it?” - and I told him he got far more exposure flying than any of the workforce did from a small amount of tritium.

5 Likes