Driverless delivery van to be road-tested in Texas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/07/driverless-delivery-van-to-be.html

2 Likes

They should realize these are gonna get hacked and people are gonna be s getting free stuff lol.

7 Likes

What could possibly go wrong? I axe yous?

8 Likes

I think you are thinking way too high tech. Just physical theft is more likely than any cyberpunk machinations.

8 Likes

That’s definitely big enough for a NASA prisoner to use as an escape vehicle.

(Spoiler alert if you haven’t seen Flight of the Navigator, which holds up surprisingly well FYI)

2 Likes

Well that’s likely the most public thing that’ll come out. No one wants to talk about the use of ball bats and spray paint over cameras on such things. It’s not cool. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

“It will require Nuro to report information about the operation of the R2 and reach out to the communities where the vehicle will be tested.”

Reach out?

What does this mean?

They’ll give them a warning? Helmets for all? An opportunity to opt out for their neighborhoods? Free first aid kits?

Don’t get me wrong - I’m all for our autonomous future, as we’re largely not great at driving. I just hate the imprecise, gutless corporate speak that is the phrase “reach out.”

5 Likes

We’ve got some “driverless” ubers coming here to the NoVaDCMd area:

This ought to be fun.

2 Likes

Well. road rage . . .

2 Likes

because getting hit by a car going 25 mph can’t hurt you

8 Likes

If it’s max speed is 25 MPH, then I sure hope it stays on side streets. Drivers here are NOT patient about slow vehicles on the main roads and may be tempted to pass illegally and dangerously.

9 Likes

Gotta love those Portosan-style doors

1 Like

How long before it runs over the person it is delivering to?

3 Likes

If it has robotic arms, I don’t want to know. :fearful:

2 Likes

Hope it goes better than last time.

5 Likes

Hey, ya gotta trust Elaine Chao on this one. Her judgement has always been sound, I mean, look who she married.

2 Likes

Welp, this’ll be interesting.
(In terms of safety/how well it functions, how other road users respond to it, how much abuse and theft it receives…)

More likely: someone stands in front of the vehicle to keep it from moving while someone else goes at it with a crowbar…

Yep, although depending on the value of the contents, just plain old vandalism may be the most likely…

Well, it is a lot less likely to kill you (especially if it has a lower bumper)…

2 Likes

It’s going to be hit by a train.

1 Like

what if it malfunctions and hits a bus ?? a bus going around a bend near a cliff ?

1 Like

Better Texas than Pennsylvania I guess.

1 Like