Driverless taxis: chaos and copulation on the streets of San Francisco

Weird, like Cyber-Dogging :smile:

2 Likes

There are definitely commercial possibilities to providing an ephemeral clean(ish) space out of the immediate public view. Waaay back twenty years ago the city of Seattle bought six fancy ‘European’ auto-washing public toilets for ~7 million bucks. It took only a couple of years to have them turned into places of sex-work business and drug administration, often with impatient queues for that use, (folks with bowel/bladder needs be damned), and thus they were sold off for a loss of at least 5 million. One would suppose that hourly rates on motels would’ve provided a hint, but providing public toilets still seems like a sociable offering, (and most robot-taxis and Starbucks outlets would likely agree)

6 Likes

Good god, if they accidentally got onto a highway in Austin, it would lead to 1000 tons of twisted metal, I am sure.

2 Likes

I imagine a day when we get back all the real estate currently dedicated to our car culture. It’d be wonderful not to have gas stations and parking lots wasting space. An on-demand fleet of cars could always be there when we need it, and transportation becomes quick and cheap for all. That day seems very far away.

Unfortunately, the way our societies and economies are currently organized, a fleet of functional driverless affordable on-demand cars will massively increase the demand for transportation by car, thus overcompensating any space-wise benefits like a possible reduction in parking space by a massive demand to increase the space needed to move all those cars. And all that moving around of empty cars from far out parking spaces to their customers (and back after use) further increases the wastefulness of moving around tons and tons of steel and plastic to move around a few dozen pounds of human.

This is really the “one more lane will fix it” delusion supercharged.

12 Likes

AKA:

10 Likes

13 Likes

“No, seriously. Because I have no idea.”

6 Likes

TBH, I looked at the headline and thought “So, business as usual then?”

4 Likes

No… no they do not.

** sigh **

Off to work, then

… first-highest if we don’t consider West Hollywood to be a “major city” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m kinda waiting for the day when the robotaxis start having sex with each other.

7 Likes

“Chaos & Copulation” sounds like a late 1980s “Dungeons & Dragons” imitator aimed at more adult audiences.

“Make a saving throw against having to sleep in the wet spot, Larry …”

7 Likes

I used to play Tunnels and Trölls back in the day, a simpler D&D but alas no smut for our teenaged eyes :grin::

2 Likes

Oh man, you’re just trying to rile up the proud people of WeHo, aren’t you? It may not be huge by California standards but it has a higher population than the capital cities of Alaska, Kentucky, Maine, Montana, South Dakota, and Vermont.

(Ok, I guess that’s not really saying much.)

3 Likes

They rated WeHo higher than SF?!? I’ve lived a few years in both and that’s insane. WeHo is vastly less walkable. I dunno how they’re generating those scores but I suspect ballot stuffing from the party boys who think WeHo is paradise and have drummed everyone else out.

3 Likes

Maybe because walking in SF requires god-level calf muscles? :rofl:

1 Like

Especially when a pedestrian reaches the crossing light at Santa Monica and La Cienega. They should really put benches there for the long wait as the cars breeze by.

But it’s considerably more Catwalk-able.

too-sexy

3 Likes

la-story-walk

2 Likes

… yeah but if we live there we get those muscles

same with Seattle

There is no leg muscle emoji so here is an arm :muscle:

2 Likes