Drivers baffled by "cryptic" national speed limit sign

Not that confusing - it’s literally the same sign with the same meaning. Only that the UK have a national speed limit on motorways and Germany doesn’t, at least for cars and motorbikes. If you see this sign on a ‘Landstrasse’, it will mean 100 kph speed limit for cars (80 kph for trucks, I think).

8 Likes

Not confusing. They’re the same thing. End of previous restrictions (not just speed).

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s literally just “from here on, default rules apply”. I’m honestly surprised that not many UK drivers know it. It’s quite common in Germany

5 Likes

I think you misunderstand the reddit. It is confusing for people foreign to the UK / Europe.

2 Likes

I would think the membership of r/drivinguk is mostly composed of UK drivers

4 Likes

But these are local roads for local people!

comedy GIF

12 Likes

I got the impression it is based on similar frustrations that @Telcontar was expressing and received answers that are not entirely serious.

2 Likes

One of the thing that I did not like driving in the U.S.A. was that I had to read quite a lot of road signs, instead of relying on instant image recognition, as I’m used to in Europe.

I might have expected different pictorial conventions, but not a radically different system.

That said, I propose hereby a nice road sign (a mirrored versions exist too, of course):

I think this was specifically Italian, and is now abandoned (since the '90s IIRC).
Is anyone, without cheating, able to imagine its meaning?

4 Likes

I would think the membership of r/drivinguk is mostly composed of UK drivers

Yes, likely.
That’s probably why…

Many commenters expressed frustration with drivers who seem unaware that the sign indicates the national speed limit applies, which is 60 mph on single carriageways and 70 mph on dual carriageways for most vehicles.

Others noted the sign can be confusing, especially for foreign visitors unfamiliar with UK road rules.

1 Like

From the comments I read, I did not get the impression that that was the main concern of the thread, though. And, I mean, if you’re going to drive in a foreign country it’s on you to make yourself familiar with its rules of the road.

4 Likes

if you’re going to drive in a foreign country it’s on you to make yourself familiar with its rules of the road.

I agree. It looks like some people went to r/drivingUK instead.

2 Likes

I’m all for moderating speed according to conditions. I’m also all for making good progress when conditions allow. These are wide, rural roads with good visibility, no sharp corners, and no pedestrians, and you still get people creeping along 10mph under the limit with an ever growing queue behind them, seemingly oblivious of the fact they are frustrating a number of other road users for no particular reason than their own ignorance or timidity.

1 Like

In all seriousness, why not just post the speed limit as a number?

Because the national speed limit is different depending on vehicle and road type. On a single carriageway cars can go at 60mph while heavy goods vehicles can only do 40, for instance, and on a dual carriageway cars can do 70mph and HGVs 60

So on a road that changes between dual and single carriagway a lot (quite common for country roads) only one sign is needed at each end and not a new sign every time the conditions change. Drivers are expected to know what the limit is for their vehicles and where.

7 Likes

It seems like one of those things where a sign just telling you what speed you should be driving at would be more effective :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That would be a complicated sign.

4 Likes

Blackburn Rovers forbidden? The I and II is to make it clear that reserve teams are also banned.

12 Likes

I imagine it is something to do with end of alternate side parking or legions may not park here?

But then I completely misunderstood the meaning of “senso unico”, fortunately nobody noticed.

5 Likes

Tell me you shouldn’t be allowed to drive in Britain without saying “I shouldn’t be allowed to drive in Britain.”

Arsehole drivers very often self own like this. My favourite was the raft of people complaining about 30kph speed limits saying that they couldn’t maintain that speed: hand in your keys. You’re done.

12 Likes

Close!

It’s actually “parking forbidden on the left side on odd calendar days and on the right side on even calendar days”.

End of a parking forbidden is now indicated with the addition of a small arrow panel below the “parking forbidden” signal.
Arrow pointing up: start of restriction, forbidden after signal.
Double arrow: continuation, forbidden both before and after
Arrow pointing down: end of restriction, forbidden before signal, allowed after.

5 Likes

“Cryptic”? Seems a fair bit clearer than the Canadian equivalent which is just no sign whatsoever indicates the road defaults to the “provincial limit” (limit varies from province to province). Has it just been a while since you’ve seen a sign, did you miss the sign when you turned onto the road, or does the provincial limit apply? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

5 Likes