Drivers baffled by "cryptic" national speed limit sign

Parking on different sides of the road on alternate days restricted (to those who have blue or white permits?)?

Came to address this:

In all seriousness, why not just post the speed limit as a number?

…but will save the money I would have to spend on Coke by thanking all those who already addressed this. One sign to cover multiple situations is also a lot less complicated, and less costly.

2 Likes

It is not lost on this heraldic wyvern that the UK National Speed Limit sign would be emblazoned: “Argent. A bend sinister, Sable.” This is coincidentally, the arms of Saint-Aubin-sous-Erquery. See: Saint-Aubin-sous-Erquery — Wikipédia

11 Likes

Any excuse to post The Fall (from the 1986 album Bend Sinister)

5 Likes

And indeed it has been changed since. It was dropped to 50mph even on motorways in the 1973 oil crisis.
(The USA introduced a 55mph limit on interstates.)

3 Likes

Well, no, there’s no line through that, silly, so it means mandatory vintage vehicle stunts. At least on single carriageways and one track roads with passing places, obviously.

6 Likes

This would be airtight logic if the UK didn’t receive approximately 40 million visitors each year, some significant proportion of whom are permitted to drive on the roads without ever having taken such a test.

1 Like

Given that it was taken from a Reddit comment thread, I’m 99% sure that was a tongue in cheek dig at other UK drivers.

1 Like

Oh, I know. That sign stops me taking the short route past the roundabout at the bottom of the high street. Well, between 6am and 7pm it does. But that spoils the joke, rather.

2 Likes

I don’t want to step all over a punchline :slight_smile:

Low flying motorbikes.

4 Likes

“Evel Knieval on Tour” as we used to say in the playgrounds in the 1970’s.

5 Likes

But what if I’m traveling and not driving? /s

4 Likes

I think we are reading far too much into a post on Reddit.

Those 40 million visitors do just fine.

We’d have to change all the speed signs to two different numbers, one in mph and one in kph.

1 Like

Here in the states when there are different speed limits for different vehicles the signs tell you both speeds.

As a UX designer, one general rule of human brains that I have learned is that the more mental effort something takes, the less likely people will do it. And if they do it, the less likely they will do it correctly.

Seems like having a sign that requires drivers to do a mental calculus of all the relevant law, including types of road and vehicle, might be less likely to be followed than one that does not require such effort.

3 Likes

No giant white balloons? It is a sign from “ The Prisoner “ ?

4 Likes

But you (presumably) don’t design UXs which are only used by people who have done a weeks long course costing 1000s of pounds with both theoretical and practical examination at the end. I absolutely agree that signs should be as easily understandable as possible, but at some point we also have to expect drivers to be reasonably competent. That’s what the course is for.

3 Likes

If we did that we would have to change the signs into 10 different numbers to take into account the different classes of high weight and/or towing vehicles in mph and kph.

Actually 12 numbers:
Cars
Cars towing
Light good vehicles
LGVs towing
Heavy Goods Vehicles
European speed limited heavy goods vehicles
Then program smart cars to correctly interpret which of the signs applies to them. Like my car gets confused when I pass a 30mph sign close to a 20mph sign on a side road.

I think it’s easier to have one sign and require people to know what applies to their own vehicle, as we do now. It’s a system which seems to work okay. The UK is a crowded country with narrow streets and has a low road accident rate.

6 Likes

Mornington Crescent!

But seriously, the “unrestricted” sign used to be used in Australia too, but I don’t think I’ve seen one for over 50 years and even then they were rare, as if they only still existed because nobody could be bothered to remove them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.