DRM causes a popular game to stutter. The fix is to pirate it.

Originally published at: DRM causes a popular game to stutter. The fix is to pirate it. | Boing Boing

9 Likes

If you’ve purchased/paid for the game, is it pirating if you use the illegitimate copy?

5 Likes

Circumventing DRM is still a crime under the DMCA.

8 Likes

I’d say morally yes, but legally no on that one probably.

2 Likes

So, no consequence for most of the world, then…

2 Likes

You mean the other way 'round I guess?

Morally not pirating, legally screwed.

5 Likes

Not sure what point you’re trying to make. The DMCA is an implementation of the WIPO Copyright Treaty, and that treaty defines specific provisions against DRM circumvention. 109 different countries are signatories. Chances are wherever you are, there’s some sort of law in place making it illegal to circumvent DRM except under specific circumstances.

1 Like

Can we get “causing legitimate issues with how the protected content performs” added to the list of specific circumstances?

One should not have to crack their game or break it’s DRM in order to be able to use it.

(but then, I have a good amount of movies that I’ve fed into the rip/compress queue for storage and fast playback on my video players without the forced piracy message, the ads for movies that I may or may not be interested in, and the other malarky that usually is packaged on a blu-ray or DVD.)

What have laws got to do with morality?

I say if you bought the game, pirate it and don’t feel bad about it.

The real crime is the DMCA.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.