DRM screws blind people

[Permalink]

This is a problem I run into several times a semester. It’s a shame when you get to the point where you either tell the student, sorry we’re going to break the law here by not making all the materials in a course accessible to you or we’re going to break the law by taking this Kindle-only book and providing it to you in a format you can actually use.

And, sadly, most people aren’t aware of these sorts of issues at all. Most instructors look at me like I’m crazy when I explain it is illegal for me to make accessible a book that a student purchased.

9 Likes

If the blind wanted to be important, they would be making bigger campaign contributionns.

8 Likes

Sometimes you have a choice to obey the law or do the right thing.

8 Likes

Coming from a family with a few blind folks in it, I find your attempt at what you sadly think is ‘humor’ offensive!

I’m pretty sure I understand what this is saying now, but it took me a few passes to parse it. I initially read it as “Tricking…to stop…from adding…isn’t hard” instead of “Tricking…isn’t hard”.

1 Like

This wasn’t “humor.” It was an indictment couched ironically.

9 Likes

This type of willful-shortsightedness really tests my faith in humanity! It’s demoralizing to know that my own species is capable of such: A) Stupidity. B) Ignorance. C) Greed. D) Indifference. E) Maliciousness. F) Cruelty, Etc, Etc, Etc… :’(

2 Likes
  • X) Banality
  • Y) Callousness
  • Z) All of the above.

And it seems A and C are winning…

:cry:

1 Like

Are the anti-TTS DRMs set by publisher or author?

Every time someone builds a web page and doesn’t test it with a text browser, they are participating in the large-scale, systematic screwing over of blind people.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.