Drone pilot arrested for dying neighboring pools green

Originally published at: Drone pilot arrested for dying neighboring pools green | Boing Boing

7 Likes

… perhaps the drone pilot owns a pool cleaning company, and he was try to score some business?

10 Likes

I was thinking the same, either way im glad they caught the idiot

6 Likes

nytimes says.

That day, the Galloway police, in partnership with the Federal Aviation Administration, the New Jersey State Police and the Absecon Police Department, tracked a drone as it flew from the Quality Inn to Comfort Solutions Heating and Cooling, a nearby business.

There, they arrested the owner, Patrick J. Spina IV, 45, who has since been charged with multiple counts of criminal mischief and harassment, Detective Kiamos said.

Comfort Solutions Heating and Cooling looks to be a chain, but they don’t say anything about pools.

6 Likes

It’s terrible and a crime, but also I’m sorry to say, really funny. People have been doing some terrible things in the news with drones and I’ll take this any day of the week.

5 Likes

Stop! I’m dyeing over here! :joy:

14 Likes

That’s a planet not a person.

19 Likes

Possibly an off-color joke.

9 Likes

He would probably have gotten away with it if it was a different time of year. If he’d done it under cover of night on March 16th, it would have been viewed as a St. Patrick’s Day miracle.

5 Likes

They just have a mordant sense of humour.

6 Likes

I’d say causing dozens of swimming pools’ worth of water to go to waste is a pretty terrible thing to do, both from a financial perspective and an environmental one.

Dropping rubber duckies or hundreds of those little sponge dinosaur tablets into neighborhood pools would be funny. This is just a dick move.

8 Likes

I get where you’re coming from, but it’d be easier to clean a pool’s worth of fresh water than to remediate the plastic in either of the other pranks you mentioned.

2 Likes

… this is not the cyberpunk future we ordered :robot:

3 Likes

The pool first turned green on June 22, she said. At first, it happened every other week, and then it started happening more frequently.

Last week, she said, the pool turned green on consecutive days, Thursday and Friday.

Hmmmm. Seems like a grudge.

3 Likes

The pools didn’t just need to be cleaned, they needed to be drained and refilled completely. I don’t know what that dye is made out of but it’s not something a standard pool filter will take out. That’s at least hundreds of dollars worth of water each time plus the effort of trying to clean the pools and equipment.

Dick move, neither harmless nor funny.

7 Likes

No disagreement there!

1 Like

I suppose live pirahnas are right out. AFAF.

2 Likes

And on Easter Monday my pool had transformed into the Blood of Christ! Verily, great is the power of the Lord!

3 Likes

Yeah I also don’t really get what is funny or cute about messing up your neighbors property and costing them in repairs as well as just wasting water.

Then again I think pranks and pranksters generally suck.

2 Likes

“but it’s cool when WE use drones for warrant-less surveillance,” fellow cops added.

3 Likes