Dropbox has no plans to add support for Apple Silicon

FWIW - Box (not to be confused with Dropbox) does uses a kernel extension to enable sync, and the current version of Box is incompatible with M1-based Macs as a result. Box does offer a public beta that supports sync capability, but it requires Reduced Security Mode be enabled in order to run (don’t do this). And it also relies on Rosetta which means it has the same battery-drain problem as Dropbox.

Link for the curious - https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500004479962-Box-Drive-support-on-devices-with-M1-chips

1 Like

That would explain it. There’s no in-house expertise for writing apps using MacOS’s native SDKs and APIs and such. And they’re landlords, so the idea of hiring people and creating something requiring maintenance and updates is anathema.

2 Likes

Alternatives-wise, Nextcloud is excellent, and there are numerous commercial providers (can’t recommend any, since I self-host it).

The client isn’t gorgeous, but it works everywhere, and has been reliable for me on Linux and macOS for several years.

My main use of it is on the desktop though, so I’m vague about the client’s resource consumption.

ETA: the Android client is perfectly respectable. It’s the desktop ones that could use a bit of UI/UX love.

They used to have a native app that worked a lot better.

Every good idea that gets flooded with VC money seems to go this way: great native app with a good experience → lots of customers and positive promotion from those customers → VC money arrives → push to SaaS model → native app replaced with electron app for “efficiency” reasons → customer base enthusiasm falters → company gets bought by Google, Apple, Microsoft, or Facebook.

1Password, for example, is currently on step 5.

2 Likes

iCloud Drive is good these days. Onedrive is acceptable. Google drive kind of confuses me as a pure cloud storage solution. But all are better than Dropbox (not more user friendly, except iCloud Drive if you’re on Mac) but much lighter on resources.
Am not up on the more niche options because I have to use all the above options…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.