Drum maniacs Buddy Rich and Ed Shaughnessy, 1978

[Permalink]

There’s always good entertainment to be had in the YouTube comments if you suggest the name of any drummer you like more than Buddy Rich.

I personally don’t like to use the word “best” to describe artists and musicians, but the Buddy Rich people seem quite attracted to it.

Animal is better, and he proved it by violently smashing a drum on Buddy’s head.

I’m afraid I’ll need to see some proof…ahh:

B.R. gets points for frenzy, showmanship and grimace.

E.S. gets points for technique, good nature and impressive sideburns.

All in all: a Battle for The Ages.

i agree… when you get to “that” level what really defines best. i prefer the sounds of Joe Morello and Joey Baron… but I wouldn’t dare say either one of them is “The Best”. They are, however, Among the Best.

This kind of act is like the bodybuilding of jazz.

so many different styles, i can’t call it. my favorites (non jazz or metal) drummers are the ones that know how to hold back and lock in with the bass. way harder than it seems.

Yes, Joe Morello has always been my favourite.To my ears he’s more musical than Buddy Rich. I know they played in very different ensembles and different styles, but I’d much rather listen to a Morello solo than a Rich solo.

When Jimmy Page and JPJ are also playing, John Bonham is an amazing drummer. When they stop and he begins to solo…I lose interest.

Pretty spectacular, although visually it would have worked MUCH better if the drummers would have been among Doc and his Orchestra, instead of alone on a stage in front of a curtain.

So my thoughts turn to, still the master, Mister Gene Krupa to you, buddies:

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.