Drums of War

Turkey is refusing to extradite Majid, citing Sweden’s own refusal to deport several people branded “terrorists” by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, including a journalist accused of trying to overthrow Erdoğan’s government and a teacher accused of trying to “subvert the constitutional order”. When Sweden applied for NATO membership last year in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Turkey, which is a NATO member, blocked the application due to Sweden’s refusal to deport these people.

Yet European law enforcement officials, speaking to VICE World News on background because of diplomatic sensitivities, said the problem with the Turkish citizenship programme goes far beyond one Kurdish drug trafficker.

4 Likes

You can buy Turkish citizenship- but you have to stay there. The minute you leave- you’ll probably be arrested & extradited.

So - hope you like Turkey!

7 Likes
9 Likes

She’s a Barbie comrade, in a Communist Barbie world—or so say Republicans, who are doubling down on accusations that the upcoming Barbie movie is Chinese propaganda.

The film, which comes out July 21, stars Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling as Barbie and Ken, who leave Barbie Land to explore the real world. In one scene before they leave, a rough, hand-drawn map of the world can be seen in the background. The map includes the so-called nine-dash line, a much-disputed division of territory in the South China Sea.

4 Likes

I wish these articles would make it clear that the map does not include the nine-dash line. It includes a dotted path of eight lines off the coast of a nebulous blob labeled Asia, along with a similarly dotted path between Greenland and what I think is the continent of Scandinavia.

F0Ie7HAWcAES3iH

This is not endorsing any territorial claims any more than it is proposing to sink Korea into the ocean, and it’s a pretty thin excuse for the Republicans to oppose something they really wanted to hate anyway.

11 Likes

:confused:

11 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes

ETA:

7 Likes
4 Likes

'Ya know, as a US tax payer, I think I should get a cut.

6 Likes
7 Likes

:thinking:

5 Likes
5 Likes

Sounds like all but an admission Putin wants to mess with Poland somehow, possibly using Wagner forces now based in Belarus.

4 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes