Drunken gentleman on a high-speed train threatens the engineer with a fire extinguisher for speeding

I don’t see where the analogy breaks. Kolaches are a staple in most parts of the state and beer too.

Um, having been to München, having stayed at length in Augsburg; and living in and around Austin, the break down is even more painful because my German relatives think brown mustard, horseradish, and black pepper are “spicy” while…

… I tend to eat these straight from the can. I think these are spicy. I do not give these to my German cousins. My mom can’t even eat chipotle mayonnaise.

Austin now has a crazy number of craft breweries so the “bad beer” argument is not 100% watertight these days. :wink:

Straightup ol’ Texas food (not Tex-Mex!) (King Ranch Casserole, green beans and bacon cooked to an olive-drab color, Pimento Cheese Sandwhiches, grits (with or without the cheese and/or garlic), most kinds of barbecue, all kinda do remind me of bland-ish German foods. Some white Texans are of German (or Czech) stock so maybe their food is explicable that way. And Germans do love their roasted meats, so I find the meat thing analogous.

Munich is a dense and ancient city of 1.45 million people, extremely civilized in the sense that its got spectacular museums, a fully developed mass transit system, solid world-class art scene, and an annual cycle of festivals.

http://www.inside-munich.com/munich-festivals.html

Austin’s barely ~180 years old and only just started in on being a megalopolis (~951,000 population) with the insufferably popular SXSW, Austin City Limits, and uh oops it looks like we have a bunch of festivals… too…

Plenty of drunk people, definitely, at either location though.

4 Likes

Re: Austin, I want to mention the dizzying variety of food trucks here, anything from basic to the ones that Anthony Bourdain would frequent. Franklin’s BBQ is a wonder unto itself. There is a truck that specializes in lobster, trucks that do kolaches, one right next to me that does schawarma, one that does (or did, haven’t seen it in a bit) crepes, etc.

2 Likes

In terms of “glass door” - the train from Frankfurt to Paris would be an ICE3. These have a glass panel behind the driver’s cab so passengers can see ahead of (and behind) the train- though the driver can switch the glass to opaque.

12 Likes

To be fair, horseradish will enliven your day quite nicely if prepared properly…

2 Likes

This is cool ! Japanese trains have the low tech version.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. Even if the “7,30 Uhr” makes me want to smash a fire extinguisher through the display screen on the keyboard of the writer.

1 Like

American trains are the best, though

3 Likes

Is this the part where we talk about having to put the toilet paper roll in the freezer ahead of time?

I agree horseradish is spicy but finishes short. Great for headcolds, btw.
Chiles tend to linger on the palate a while.

2 Likes

And according to the can these are the “chil” potle peppers, not even the hot ones!

1 Like

I was thinking more about the sinuses. I find chilies will give you an exciting time in the mouth (and possibly elsewhere as you say) - or indeed anywhere you touch, I suppose - but if you really want the fires of hell to go off in your nasal passages and a complete inability to speak or see for a moment or two - horseradish will do the job nicely.

2 Likes

I accidentally depressurised a TGV carriage once by falling awkwardly onto a seat armrest. What do I win

2 Likes

What did you win?

But… TGVs aren’t pressurized. They don’t need to be.

Is this a joke I don’t understand ?

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

well the damn thing started hissing and whooshing like nobody’s business. they go at 300kmh ?

oh … https://www.reddit.com/r/france/comments/85e6qx/are_tgvs_pressurized_when_they_go_full_speed/

2 Likes

Yeah, I read the French equivalent, so they are kind of pressurised because they are kind of airtight thanks to the inflated joints between wagons.
I had no idea and I like it a lot, it’s a simple but effective solution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.