Dune endures, but why isn't it a phenomenon?

Hey, if it was “How Much for Just the Planet” you owe that intern an apology

1 Like

Care to post what you’re currently reading so we point out how bad it is? Star Trek TNG got me watching science fiction shows. TNG novels got me reading science fiction books. Some of them are good, some of them are bad, much like books in general.

Only if he’s cast as Princess Irulan.

2 Likes

I kind of want him to do an Eddie Murphy, and have him play all the roles.

relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pixm64N5xeI

I’d be willing to bet there are three types of people re: Dune

(1) Never tried it, not interested.

(2) Read 25-50 pages, what the hell is this, it’s not even in English?

(3) Have read it cover to cover a dozen or more times.

I’m a #3. We’re a distinct minority.

I doubt there are many #2s for Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter or Twilight. And there’s your difference.

1 Like

“Fear is the mind-killer” is one of the greatest quotes ever because it is so very, very true.

2 Likes

Polackio is almost dead on. Dune has not entered mainstream culture’s consciousness because there are no clear answers — among those who read the books. You can put three long-time fans of the books and a newbie who just read the first novel in a room and ask them to discuss the first book, and you’ll get five different opinions about the book.

Did Paul succeed? (I contend he failed, based solely on the first book). Did the Bene Gesserit succeed? (I contend they did). Is the story about a few humans, or humanity as a whole, or human culture (memes)? Was there any way for Paul to escape the role he was cast into? (I think there is and that Herbert, Zen Roshi style, left this as an exercise to the reader).

The entire novel is an extended koan, and people who read it either get the itch or are subtly disturbed by it.

… and all the Dune cosplayers attend leather and BDSM cons anyway.

1 Like

Don’t forget the telepathic hive-mind weasels.

Shit, I’d like to see the last book. That cliffhanger had me hopping mad.

Meh, I looooove Doc Savage pulps. They sure are not writing at it’s best but there is something in the 1930 high adventure that just appeals to me. Those Star Trek books are no better or worse than that. Sometimes people read things for fun and not all that high falutin allegory and literary prose stuff.

It is by will alone i set my mind in motion…

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

7 Likes

I’m rereading “Aggression in Personality Disorders and Perversions,” which is very good book and worth the price just for the title.

“Catchphrases from the book have not entered the language.”

I have no idea what you’re talking about, that movie is completely quotable, I see people doing so online and hear them in person.

Maybe they’re not quite yet some sort of terrible memesplosion, but how is that a bad thing?

Terrible culture makes for better catchphrases.

Well, beyond the fact that I wouldn’t identify him as “white” because he has olive skin with dark hair since race is a constructed social imposition and not an actual objective thing, there’s also the fact that he isn’t what ‘white people’ look like in anime.

I recommend this article

2 Likes

In the mid-90s there was also a German happy-hardcore band Dune:

More recently, Grimes released an album Geidi Primes w/ most of the tracks/titles being Dune-related. It’s actually pretty good, and you can listen to it online here: http://grimesmusic.bandcamp.com/album/geidi-primes

in yoga class, i tell my students all the time.

fear is the mind killer.

1 Like

Must be one scarey-ass yoga class.