Dune fandom praised

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/12/dune-fandom-praised.html

10 Likes

Cue the trolls and toxic fanboys of Muad’Dib to prove that claim wrong.

There are no absolutes in human behavior.

Also, the spice must flow…

16 Likes

I liked the first book alright. But the David Lynch movie was better… (no I am not really serious about that)

13 Likes

The spice must flow.
And that’s all you need to know.

11 Likes

I do not understand. How is Star Trek fandom, for example, “impure?” Or Cowboy Bebop?

Also, Combine Honnete Ober Alles Mercantiles. Why do I remember the most useless things?

11 Likes

I feel that Dune is an obnoxious piece of trash of a movie. That said, having read Dune as a child, again as a young adult, and again as a 50 yr old, my view of Paul Atriedes and his family have grown steadily negative. He is the greedy, grasping scion of a parasitic aristocratic family. He is no better than his enemies.

5 Likes

Isn’t that more or less the point of the book(s)?

16 Likes

Patrick Stewart with a futuristic machine gun holding two pugs. I think It is cool movie.

21 Likes

Rob, your twitter feeeeed is funny! :crazy_face:

Keep it up.

4 Likes

Gosh, I’m go’n lose sleep over this now.

5 Likes

I have problems with Lord of Rings at times. The whole world is rigged in favor of inheritors like Aragorn, the great but lesser descendant of far greater ancestors, and that’s why he gets to be the king. There’s no room for anything like the Enlightenment, and the best that they’re going to manage is still only going to be a pale shadow of the Númenor that was.

14 Likes

Well yeah, Tolkien modeled his Legendarium after the Old Testament’s explicitly lapsarian Fall of Man. At least Tolkien was, almost obnoxiously so, up front about that source of inspiration. George Lucas presented the same theme and resisted owning up to it.

4 Likes

Honestly, this feels a little… weird to me. The article keeps trying to make connections to cash cows and the like, as if the fact that Dune is less popular (and thus, less of a money maker) than Star Wars or Marvel makes it better. Not only is that a bit hipstery, but it shifts the blame for the toxic fandoms away from the real cause: the toxic fans.

Now there may be a connection in that the Dune fandom is smaller, and thus easier to self-police. Or perhaps there’s a critical mass it hasn’t reached where the vocal minority is large enough to start getting really, really loud, but that seems more like a general problem, rather than a specific one to Dune, or even sci-fi.

9 Likes

Well, that’s all well and true, but an Arrakeen Water Merchant doesn’t have a hell of a lot agency in that universe, so I’m not sure we’ve got many choices for viewpoint characters in the Dune universe other than greedy, grasping scions of parasitic aristocratic families…

8 Likes

A = Advancer

Some fan you are!

:wink:

12 Likes

God Emperor of Dune pretty much spells that out. Beware the Messiah.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what that Burger King gal told that cop:

Florida cop accuses Burger King of putting dirt on his burger. It was seasoning. - #23

6 Likes

I thought it was one pug. No big deal. The direction for Gurney Halleck to carry the dog(s) was brilliant; it said so much in just a few seconds about Gurney’s personality, his bravery and ability to fight while carrying a burden, and – maybe more so – the loyalty inspired by Atreides honor.

5 Likes

(Could he be the one?)

2 Likes

Dune fandom is kind of an exclusive club, with a typical exchange taking place as a secret report within the Guild, if you will.

8 Likes