Dune fandom praised

I don’t know, ive met some pretty toxic Dune fans* who think Lynch’s version is the greatest thing ever and any other attempt at an adaptation should be shunned. They seem to just gloss over the massive changes the film made when countered.

*maybe they were just hard core Lynch fans (Lynchians? Lynchites? Lynchiputians?)

3 Likes

Well I guess this isn’t going to post itself.

35 Likes

It is of the likes of which God has never seen!

4 Likes

dune

Indeed. I made a thing for that very moment ages ago.

But there were two pugs, you say?

Damn.

16 Likes

I liked the Syfy Channel versions for what they were. Dune for TV audiences

8 Likes

mkv0253%20copy

11 Likes

I have a feeling you already know the story, uh… behind… the flying codpiece. Sting wanted to do the scene completely nude. Censor-heads prevailed and the production crew made the codpiece the day before the shoot.

10 Likes

One sandworm is enough!

18 Likes

giphy

6 Likes

I don’t think he’s even as large as one of the little makers.

2 Likes

maybe…

1 Like

Since the women of the Dune universe are mainly happy slaves and broodmares, I’d be inclined to think the more anti-social fanboys are mollified from the get-go.

7 Likes

It’s all the elves’ fault. They picked the men who happened to side with them during the first war and elevated them above the rest of mankind.

Jaqueline Carey wrote a very good duology called The Sundering that takes the LotR and turns it on its head, told from the perspective, essentially, of the Witch-King of Angmar. Names changed and all that, but its hard to miss. Look up “Banewreaker.”

4 Likes

Can someone explain to me the general obsession with “purity”?

8 Likes

Hold up. Neither of you are wrong. But how can we have gotten this far without mentioning the Bene Gesserit? Post-genetic-manipulation semi-religious secret society of (super)women, unafraid to manipulate people’s beliefs for their own ends, and running a generations-long eugenics program to breed the messiah? Crazy stuff.

13 Likes

I agree. although I haven’t read the books (tried as an adult, no go), the class system was obvious with Sam the gardener constantly knuckling his forehead to the Baggins Gentry.

On the other hand, the whole point of primogeniture was really stability, which seems the prime directive in Middle Earth. Worked pretty well for Rome, then The Early Middle Ages in Europe where rule went to the strongman were pretty rough. Some of the worst wars later on were when the best claim wasn’t clear.

3 Likes

The Bene Gesserit aren’t slaves and broodmares? I mean, they have an ultimate goal to justify it, but it’s a little sad to create a group of highly trained superwomen and then use them as… well.

3 Likes

Imagining the user agreement you have to sign when you buy your Bene Gesserit is a bit fun though.

“Thank you for purchasing a Bene Gesserit! We know you have a choice of sex slaves, and we’re glad you chose us!
*sex slave may or may not engineer a coup against you, be your own sister, mother or daughter, and use your sperm to produce messiahs with or without your knowledge “

10 Likes

For the Lynch/Smithee movie, I’m basically only into it ironically for Patrick Stewart. The pug. The pretending to play a Chapman Stick. Him getting shirty at Kyle when he talks about “mood”. Obviously this was a few years before ST:TNG before his star really took off so the awesomeness had to flow back…

On the other hand, the first miniseries played closer to the book - although they did throw in a side plot to flesh out Irulan - but I can deal. I had a problem dealing with the matte backgrounds, though. OK, low budget and all that, but they could’ve made them look better?

Anyway, as for the fandom? I guess it’s on a par with more recent book series that are reasonably popular but haven’t bubbled into screen.

2 Likes

Walk without rhythm
And it won’t attract the worm
If you walk without rhythm
Ah, you never learn, yeah

– Fat Boy Slim, Weapon of Choice

19 Likes