New Dune movie will take no cues from Lynch's version

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/15/new-dune-movie-will-take-no-cu.html

5 Likes

But Denis Villeneuve, directing a new movie of Brian Herbert’s SF classic, says he’ll be taking pains not to let it influence his own vision.

@beschizza, typo there, Brian didn’t write Dune, his dad Frank did.

17 Likes

Thank you, fixed.

5 Likes

One of the few remakes I’m happy for. I loved the fever dream that was Lynch’s Dune, but it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out when it’s given a high budget treatment a little closer to the book. I found the Sci-Fi Channel remake interesting, if a bit low-budget.

14 Likes

I dunno…I didn’t even know the games existed. I appreciate Lynch’s Dune because it is majestically awful.

Also: Jadorowsky’s Dune. We could’ve had something even more bonkers.

18 Likes

I wonder if he’ll avoid(or potentially deliberately embrace) the influences of the whole “not really a secret that Arrakis is Space Afghanistan” thing. Our relationship to that concept may have shifted a bit since the '80s.

13 Likes

For a second, I worried about which Dune book they were doing.

5 Likes

Didn’t watch the interview- is it a single film that’s planned or a series? Also, I’ve never read the book… is it possible to condense it all into a single film effectively? The one time I watched the lynch film, my uncle had to explain virtually every scene… it just seemed so dense in a good way…

4 Likes

i think if the movie takes some cues from this it would make a great spectacle.

9 Likes

But will he take pains to not be influenced by Jodorowsky’s unrealized Dune?

5 Likes

Afghanistan specifically as opposed to the whole Middle East isn’t the best metaphor, since there’s no oil… er… Spice there.

4 Likes

Dune?

Wh needs “Dune?”

We have Valerian!

8 Likes

No spice? Really?

27 Likes

“The spice must flow!”

8 Likes

Any reason to post this beaut’…

https://youtu.be/kQADZeB-z8M

3 Likes

They could still skip all the way to the Honored Matres mess at the end. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I’m Gen X, liked the Lynch version, and never played the games. With a score by Toto, there’s really little room to complain.

14 Likes

After Arrival and Blade Runner I have a huge amount of trust in Villeneuve. It’s incredible how quickly he’s broken out.

I have never understood the love some people have for Lynch’s Dune. While there are some remarkable visuals and great moments it doesn’t work as a movie or adaptation of the book.

6 Likes

Seeing it at 11 was pretty awesome. Those memories don’t help it to stand up to modern watching.

2 Likes

Dune II (1992) is justly famous as one of the founders of the real-time strategy genre, and the immediate predecessor to Command & Conquer. Dune 1 was a completely unrelated point-and-click adventure that actually hit shelves after Dune II thanks to some really weird licensing decisions, 1998’s Dune 2000 was a mediocre remake of Dune II, and 2001’s Emperor: Battle for Dune was a decent but not impressive sequel that ended the series.

So Dune II is the only one that had real cultural impact, and it looked like this:

I’m not sure it was a major factor in the popularity of Lynch’s vision of Dune.

(Edit: Turns out there was also a separate, unsuccessful 2001 game based on Sci-Fi’s Dune miniseries.)

7 Likes