Dungeon Keeper remake snarls classic gameplay in "scam" payment model

We all know what’s going to happen here as it’s happened over and over again when companies try and pull this kind of gimmick. Thanks to the gods for piracy.

I will also say, thanks to this post, I’ll pulled out my old copy of DK2 since I know exactly where it’s at and am now installing the crap outta this game. I forgot that EA already had their hands on it way back then…

It’ll probably be awhile before the apk is cracked and rejiggered to point to a not-ea owned master server. Probably won’t happen til after they abandon the thing and most people forget. Then they’ll see this apk somewhere pop it in and play… then realize what fun the game could have been if it hadn’t been infested with multi-day long waits on higher level buildings.

Case in point. Latest patch to go through today raised the price of a few buildings past the point hwere anyone that’s unlocked them cna’t buy at that level since it requires more gold/stone than there’s avalible to store.

Worse though is they’ve added to the timers. Not taken away as logic would dictate. Added. I’ve asked on forums what adding to the time where a resource you’ve already spent effort and in game resources to get access is unavailable balances other than EA’s bank account. Not holding my breath on an answer.

They don’t need to do this. Give us a solid expansion pack that lets you do single player antics against invading heroes or your invasion of the sunlit realms. Let this game be the free sample and have content packs to purchase in addition to having to buy worker imps and buffs…

Shouldn’t that be enough of a balance?

I was somewhat involved in the uproar over the ending of Mass Effect 3, and one of the things that quickly became clear, with only a little digging, is that professional game reviewing is simply marketing for big game publishers, and that’s how the reviewers themselves understand it. Game review publishers get their revenues from the marketing departments of game publishers, and ads for games appear adjacent to the reviews. If a reviewer makes the mistake of giving a game from a major publisher a negative review, or even an insufficiently positive review, they’re black-listed, and will no longer receive review copies of games in time to actually review them, will not be invited to marketing events, and generally will be unable to work as a game reviewer. And when we talked to professional game reviewers, they made it clear that they loved their perks, regarded game publishing company marketers as personal friends, and generally felt they were part of a team with them.

EA is the biggest game publisher, and from EA’s annual report, they spent $788 million on marketing in 2013.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.