Duplicitous Catholic Bishop buys $2.3 million home with church funds after pleading for parishioners to help the homeless

To be fair, he said “the less homeful.”

5 Likes

I remember what John the Baptist said; “Let the man who has two cloaks give one to the man who has none.”

9 Likes

A supernatural patriarchy?..

1 Like

I keep saying:

2 Likes

When I was a part of the Catholic church it steamed me that nuns are required to take a vow of poverty but priests are not.

9 Likes

If THIS is what “will do us in”, well, we would have been toast long before this.

1 Like

Some monks, like some nuns, do take a vow of poverty. Of course, some lay-people don’t get the option. :wink:

Burning Man only use the Black Rock Desert for a week or so. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind cleaning up the sun bleached skeletons of aging priests who have been sent there to be near to their God during the rest of the year.

6 Likes

Huh, a friend lives near what I thought was the bishop’s house - maybe it’s someone of lower rank. It’s in one of San Jose’s nicer neighborhoods, and it’s the fanciest house in the neighborhood - definitely an upper-middle class house. (And given current house prices, may be worth $2.3 or more now, but it was purchased by the church decades ago when it cost a lot less.)

The description screams McMansion (rather than the actual mansion that amount of money would buy outside California) - it’s a five bedroom “Tuscan estate,” after all.

Depends what you consider “modest,” I guess. There are modest houses going for a million dollars in my neighborhood, but that’s the upper price limit. $2.5 mil might get you a modest house in a very fancy neighborhood, but the only reason you’d buy it is to be in particular school catchment area. Doesn’t make a lot of sense for a retiree. There’s no way it’s a lavish mansion, but it’s not a “modest” house, either.

5 Likes

Some from column A, some from column B. Scumbags know they can get away with just about anything under the mantle of religious belief. Power corrupts, and divine power corrupts divinely.

5 Likes

Hello Catholic Church? Can you hear me? Nope, didn’t think so, completely deaf and cut off from reality. They want people to do as they say, not as they do. Some things never change.

“I have heard from many on this topic and I have decided not to move into this house.” So yeah, he said that he won’t live there… maybe they bought him a new house, a little bit cheaper.

This seems to be the house in question:

More photos here:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1650-St-Anthony-Dr-95125/home/728196

I’d put it at fairly solid 6 or 7 on this scale:

So “Meh to Slightly Ugh” rather than full on McMansion, although whatever’s going on with the gateway entrance joining the rather dinky house to the hilariously large garage is intense.

It’s certainly not what I think of when I think Tuscan estate:

2 Likes

All you have to do is study the palaces and cathedrals built by the Roman Catholic Church to realize that its never been about charity and christ like behavior, and always been about corralling power and money with an entitlement that comes from being the only legitimate conduit to god.

Reform? Its like renovating an historic building to add features that never existed. If the church bothers you then you should go to something like a friendly methodist church that really cares about poor people.

I don’t understand. He identified a problem in the community (homeless people), and he resolved an element of the problem (someone who did not own a home now owns a home).

I mean, it was a little more specific (homeless priests, specifically himself), but I am sure there was just a bit of misunderstanding…

/s (rated S for Sarcastic.)

1 Like

And let’s not forget all the government officials and leaders of corporations who also do the very same things.

1 Like

Take the long walk into The Cursed Earth to convert the godless?

1 Like

A 5-bedroom house? Hmm…

I’m lucky if I can set aside a couple thousand dollars before I have to raid it for one thing or another. $2.3M just for the house, with money left over for upkeep? Sweeeet.

Oh? I don’t know, sounds pretty swanky to me…

… but then I live in a $160K townhouse, so what do I know about luxury?

2 Likes

Probably more than the people who decorated that house…

“Grand-sized chef’s kitchen” translates as open plan kitchen/living room with everything you’d want to cook with in the wrong place.

“Soaring ceilings” means - it’s a bungalow and we took out the roof void.

“Spa-like marble bathroom” means we had a job lot of marble to throw at the walls and we’ve shoehorned a bath and a walk-in shower in there!

Oh, and his and hers sinks of course.

“Gorgeous outdoor spread”? It has a lawn and a pine tree right outside the house where the roots are just waiting to cause subsidence.

2 Likes

Anyone else think he has dirt and that this is hush money?

“five beds/4 baths”? That’s a family argument waiting to happen.

2 Likes