Gorgeous, humbling photos of Manila's super-dense shantytowns

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/13/cryptonomiconian.html

5 Likes

I can smell it from here.

1 Like

That church would have paid for a lot of low-cost housing.

1 Like

Your computer would have fed a family of 5 for a year!

#SHAME!

3 Likes

I’m with @westcarleton, I don’t think the residents of that shanty town were guilted by their religious leadership into paying for his computer.

“A thousand feet below, people sifted through the rubble and lined up for food and water at a nearby church.”

Actually thatchurch you were mentioning have dozens of housing projects throughout the Philippines dedicated to the marginalized and indigenous people of the Philippines. The most notable of this is the 1000-unit housing for the victims of typhoon Haiyan.

4 Likes

Yeah, well so do @westcarleton and @roomwithaview!!!

They already build a lot of low cost housing, including 11 self sustainable communities that benefits thousands of disenfranchised people from both the cities and the mountains.

You can’t possibly expect a church to pay for everyone’s housing. If they did, there wouldn’t be enough money for building their church. Especially since it’s the government’s job in the first place, not theirs.

The church follows the teachings found in Haggai 1:8 which states:

Go up into the mountains and bring down timber and build my house, so that I may take pleasure in it and be honored," says the LORD.

The church also takes to heart the warning found in Haggai 1:4-6 which warns:

“Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains a ruin?”

Now this is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways. You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.”

So if you think the church should compromise its ideals for your sake, why don’t you do the same and send all of your mortgage or rent money to build houses for the homeless in your city?

Put your money where your mouth is for a change, or is that too much to ask from you?

Nobody was guilted into anything.

Everyone gives freely from what their heart desires.

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
-2 Corinthians 9:7

1 Like

Think on how many families that helicopter could have fed.

1 Like

It’s always the people who do the least who criticize others the most.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njtR3B0Ff_g

What have YOU done today?

What’s really funny though is the same people who seriously criticize others for not giving enough are the same ones who will be all up in arms when asked if they would want to live in a purely communist system.

1 Like

At risk of my personal life overlapping with the online world I have been, and continue to be, instrumental in the development of $B’s in solar energy for under-developed countries (including Phillipines) so that they can have reliable power for basic needs, including that most important one called education. It also sets them on a path to be weaned off of over-priced fossil fuels so those government funds can go to equally important things. As I’m gallivanting about the globe making solar connections happen I also look for local goods and services which can be exported in ways that benefit the local economy and make connections happen that way as well. Finally, I make a decent salary and donate thousands of dollars every year to worthy causes that are helping the world in ways that I cannot.

But your point is nonetheless apt…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.