Durham's infamous "can opener" bridge claims second victim of the year

Has anyone suggested greasing the underside of the bridge?

9 Likes

I was thinking about those old logic puzzles where the answer was: the truck driver let 1" of air out of their tires, then drove under the bridge, and then reinflated them!

Surely not this guy.

4 Likes

Maybe! Then again if a giant flashing sign that is very out of place and instructs you very clearly that you must turn hasn’t done that, I don’t know what will.

6 Likes

Clearly we need to raise the road, lower the bridge, add a sand curtain and jump ramps.

12 Likes

It’s rough out there. We Happy Mutants gotta stick together. :smiley:

5 Likes

Slowing the driver down a little would make it more likely they get stuck under the bridge rather than sliding through. Ironic twist, forcing the driver to stop and own up to their oversight may be a better outcome in the grand scheme out things. Although,

ultimately “crash art” may be the best outcome of all!

6 Likes

I know, I know - every time you think you’re out we pull you back in.

7 Likes

I’d like to think that’s due more to evolution by natural selection.
Too high trucks that get their top scraped are less attractive, so they don’t mate and reproduce, slowly disappearing from the truck gene pool.

6 Likes

Not so sure about that. Convertibles are pretty sexy…

5 Likes

At first glance this seems right, but ackshually 11’ 8" + 8" = 12’ 4". Thanks, United States customary measurement system!

6 Likes

Or rather they are already helping to the maximum extant that they can.

5 Likes

I know, tire spikes to forcibly deflate the tires and lower the truck ~2".

5 Likes

I’m surprised that I haven’t put anything on the card about tire deflation, because that one comes up in all kinds of contexts. Version 1.3, here we come?

8 Likes

8 Likes

You can’t tell me what to do, you’re not my mum!

(Also well done to frauenfelder for writing a new intro to this post, rather than just copying one from the 50+ other BB posts about this bridge :))

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.