During World War II, an isolated sledge patrol in Greenland came upon a secret team of Germans

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/25/during-world-war-ii-an-isolat.html

3 Likes

Sledge Patrol is the name of my next symphonic metal band.

12 Likes

I see Sledge Patrol opening for Foghat.

7 Likes

I read “Sledge Patrol” by David Howarth as a teenager and remember it being a great book. Among the things that stuck in my mind were one of the guys walking miles and miles through the snow in his underwear, and that, apparently the only non-commissioned rank in the outfit was Sargent; as they were all to heroically hard to be mere Privates or Corporals.

4 Likes

Sleds vs Nazis reminds me of Snow Treasure which I read as a kid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Treasure

5 Likes

Peter Gabriel cover?

7 Likes

Dam Nazis, got no respect.

3 Likes

It seems like Futility Closet finds lots of interesting stories related to WWII-- escapes, obscure battles, espionage. I must say those are among my favorites as well.

2 Likes

Is there a way to read Futility Closet instead of listening to it? Like a transcript?

5 Likes

They foiled the Nazi plan to attack New York via Zeppelins. Thanks to the assistance by a lost tribe of Vikings and their giant eagle mounts. All recounted in Merian C. Cooper’s autobiographical work

SX344_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

2 Likes

“They foiled the Nazi plan to attack New York via Zeppelins. Thanks to the assistance by a lost tribe of Vikings and their giant eagle mounts.

Now look what you’ve done to me. I’ve been forced to order this through interlibrary loan.

2 Likes

Wow! I don’t know how many times I read that book. :slight_smile:
Good old Scholastic Book Club!

2 Likes

I found it originally in a used book store $1 bin.

I would like to think I am the 2nd or 3rd person to buy that book and sell it back to the same store.

2 Likes

Going to be better than Snow Patrol no matter what.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.