E-ink playing cards prototype is really cool

Originally published at: E-ink playing cards prototype is really cool | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I’ve always heard about Warhammer 40k, but it never seemed to interest me. Sadly, I’m just not a big tabletop gamer (that could change). But ever since I laid eyes on the new Warhammer 40k: Darktide video game, I’ve found myself quickly falling down the rabbit hole. What an interesting universe it takes place in. The aesthetic of the video game and the whole gothic-Romananesque-dystopian war torn hellscape is fascinating. It basically makes DOOM look vanilla. Can anyone recommend any good W40K artbooks that perhaps do a good job of showcasing the character design and world building?

2 Likes

2 Likes

When I was first introduced to 40K, I thought it was really goofy. It was obviously an attempt at creating a kitchen sink gameworld that included every sort of fantasy/sci-fi character trope (battlesuit warriors, elves, orcs, undead, terminators, Giger aliens, mechs, vampires, werewolves, etc). But you have to hand it to the worldbuilders and fiction authors. They have created a really interesting and extraordinarily complex sci-fi universe. I know WAY too much about this world, but it never stops fascinating me.

There are lots of 40K art books. The ones of John Blanche and Jes Goodwin’s work are a great place to start. They pretty much defined the early 40K aesthetic and are still at it to this day. I don’t know if these books are still in print or what they currently sell for.

2 Likes

Thanks @garethb2! I’m going to check these out.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.