Earth's moon is getting its own time zone

Oblig. Video

3 Likes

This is not about creating a time zone, but a time standard. That 58-ish microseconds per day relativistic difference in time is the entire reason for the project. UTC is based on International Atomic Time, which is an average reading of hundreds of atomic clocks placed around the surface of the Earth. LTC will have to be based on the readings of atomic clocks on the surface of the Moon in order to establish a consensus standard in that relativistic frame of reference. For practical reasons, the system will also have to keep track of offsets from UTC so that any given timestamp could be converted between UTC and LTC in a standardized way. The same principle could be applied to other planets and moons if needed.

As noted in the Celestial Time Standardization memo, having a time standard that is accurate to your frame of reference is useful if you want to have something like GPS navigation, or to calibrate instruments that rely on the definition of the SI second, e.g. a laser range finder:

8 Likes

More detailed article here: https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/30/science/lunar-time-zone-scale-nasa-artemis-scn/index.html - covers the atomic vs crystal and time-zone issues that I didn’t post yesterday.

3 Likes
2 Likes

China can’t build a submarine that floats, so “No thanks!” on that one :laughing:

1 Like

One thing that I appreciated on Babylon 5 but was very rarely brought up in Star Trek is the fact that time zones exist and you really should take that into consideration before calling people up. But I like to think that Robot Chicken’s explanation is the right one: they just have a night shift that has their own series of adventures.

2 Likes

the night shift existed on tng. usually data was the senior officer on the bridge for those

1 Like

man, i scrolled all the way down to find that.
not disappoint.

… there would be less confusion about these things if the scientific time unit was not supposed to also coincidentally be a specific fraction of a solar day

They should really define an S.I. “moment” (or something) as exactly 10¹⁰ cesium transitions and stop talking about “seconds” at all :thinking:

1 Like

Since you’d have to redefine the derived units too, maybe we can just call them Avoirdupois seconds, hertz, newtons, joules, and so on to prevent any confusion.

1 Like

… the most annoying part of the metric system is having to learn French :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes