Earth's moon is getting its own time zone

Originally published at: Earth's moon is getting its own time zone - Boing Boing

6 Likes

gotta wonder if the crufty old (c1986) *nix tz database will be able to be accommodated to this situation…?

moon’s weaker gravity makes clocks tick faster by about 56 microseconds per day.

hm… perhaps not

6 Likes

Sure, it starts with one…

Issa Rae Reaction GIF

:weary:

9 Likes

“But the moon’s weaker gravity makes clocks tick faster by about 56 microseconds per day.”

Seems to me then that the frame of reference will need to be terrestrial & not local; all things being equal, GMT might make the most sense as a time standard

6 Likes

No. LCT.

Lunar Cheese Time.

cheese GIF

25 Likes

Why would the Moon need its own time zone when we already have Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)?

12 Likes

The Earth is part of the universe too, but that doesn’t stop people here from having different time zones. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Not to mention all the individuals and even corporations that have their own unique measurements of time, like Miller Time or Clobberin’ Time or Adventure Time.

15 Likes

… if my number number number is correct that’s one negative leap second every 50 years :thinking:

4 Likes

I guess that Coordinated Lunar Intersidereal Time was out of the question?

2 Likes

For convenience the lunar time will differ from earthbound time zones by 14.2 minutes, unless daylight savings time is in effect in Australia’s Northern Territory.

8 Likes
9 Likes

That would have been a much funnier crack to make :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Seriously though, there is another time zone that could be used

Just change it from Anywhere on Earth to Anywhere in the Universe. By the time that becomes a problem for us we’ll have moved on to stardates or something.

7 Likes

I work with large-ish scale data [1] related to networks of solar farms. With all the network and data complexity, people are usually surprised when I tell them that my biggest single problem is time stamps and time zones.

[1] A typical data chunk is small enough to fit in a few gigs of memory, and large enough that a spreadsheet is impractical, several times over.

5 Likes

Blame Einstein.

Except the Moon will need its own leap seconds. If the Apollo missions left an atomic clock on the moon, it would already be about one second out of sync with Earth. Which isn’t enough to care about most of the time, but for the times it is we’ll need to keep track of that.

4 Likes

The Moon laughs!

1 Like

i hear that’s much easier there. what with the light gravity and all…

Moon Walk GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes

Doesn’t do Daylight Savings Time.

This Sunday we go from 4ish to 7ish time zones on continental Australia.

3 Likes

I remembered there was something wonky but didnt bother to look it up.

1 Like