Easy peel hard-boiled eggs via the Instant Pot are fast and easy

To be fair if someone gives me fresh eggs warm from a hen the most cooking I might do is a light poach!

1 Like

We have an Instapot (my wife loves kitchen gadgets) and I decided to try this technique. I’ve tried nearly every other method for perfect hard boiled eggs before with varying degrees of success. I can attest that it worked perfectly. 2 minutes at high pressure. Natural bleed-off of pressure for 10 minutes or so, then plunge eggs into an ice bath for 10 minutes. Works great.

1 Like

In my experience, more blue = more overcooked. Perfect eggs have a single barely-
moister spot in the very middle of the yolk.

edit:I once thought I could save some hassle by buying them bagged, but they are almost slways so gross. a bad bag scared me away from eggs altogether for awhile last year.

1 Like

So many people complaining about needing another kitchen gadget. Well, for someone like me, who already has an electric pressure cooker, because it is an essential bit of cooking kit (fight me), this is great. I have been using the 5/5/5 method, and they end up a bit more cooked than I’d like.

1 Like

Pffttt. Not impressed by your egg vid. I like this one more.
(TL/DR poke a hole in the base of the egg to make them easy to peel)

Yes this. I let stand for 5 or 6 minutes for softer boiled eggs, and do plunge them in cold water.

Incidentally, I’m not sure if it’s due to the the feed or what, but the eggs yolks in Japan are a beautiful bright yellow towards orange hue similar to those in the ramen egg video.

Is that 2 minutes after reaching full pressure? We don’t have an instapot, but I dug out our ancient Presto pressure cooker after watching the 1949 food drama below, and it is now a staple of our kitchen. However, it does take a while to get the water up to pressure, I don’t think 2 minutes including that time would be enough to cook the eggs.

1 Like

I buy US eggs and I second what @robertmckenna said- I’ve never had the least bit of trouble peeling them and have never understood what all the fuss is about this. I love peeling eggs. I find it very satisfying.

2 Likes

Right! I love it too.

The fuss is about how much of the egg sticks to the shell as you peel them.

I don’t get any egg sticking to the shell. Often the whole bottom half of the shell comes off in one piece, in fact. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Just us then? Never, ever been an issue.

1 Like

It’s all about that very thin membrane on the inside of the shell and whether it comes off invisibly with the shell leaving a nice glossy egg white in view (easy peel eggs) or whether it gets left behind when peeling (hell on earth with bits of egg pulled away with bits of membrane or bits of membrane missed or - yeuch - minute bits of shell left stuck to bits of membrane and only discovered once in the mouth).

Never had that problem. Membrane sticks to the shell not the white.

Yeah, very much wondering if refrigeration helps that… (sticky shell/membrane)

Maybe we’ve both stumbled into an egg peeling superpower that was previously unknown. We just need to figure out how to use this to fight crime.

3 Likes

Suggested amendment for your approval.

2 Likes

That’s how I roll too1 Though I usually do 9 min for hard boiled and 7 min for a perfect spreadable yoke (my daughter hates whites).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.