Easy peel hard-boiled eggs via the Instant Pot are fast and easy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/14/easy-peel-hard-boiled-eggs-via-the-instant-pot-are-fast-and-easy.html

3 Likes

The cook’s method, in case you don’t feel like watching the video:
Ingredients:

• 1 cup Cold Water
  • 12 Eggs

Instructions:

• Pour 1 cup water into the Instant Pot pressure cooker.
  • Place the eggs in a steamer basket, or on top of the trivet in the Instant Pot to keep them out of the water.
  • Lock the lid, turn the knob to sealing, and set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 2 minutes.
  • After the 2 minutes is up, allow a 15 minute natural pressure release.
  • Release the rest of the pressure if the pin hasn’t dropped on its own, and open the lid.
  • Plunge the eggs in an ice bath, or running cool water for at least 10 minutes.
  • Store the eggs unpeeled in the refrigerator for up to one week.
8 Likes

It took her 6:41 to say, “put the eggs in and push the button”

4 Likes

I did 8 eggs. 1 broke. Same results with the good ones. Easy to peel and perfectly done.

5 Likes

I’m sure this works great but:

• Bring a pot of water to the boil
  • Add eggs gently to boiling water
  • Simmer for 10min
  • Plunge into cold water

Is fool proof for me for easy peeling hard boiled eggs, does not require any special kit, and is quicker than what they propose. J. Kenji López-Alt did a fairly scientific test of hard boiled egg methods and this was The Way.

8 Likes

I agree. I’ve tried all of the tricks; baking soda, vinegar, older eggs, etc. The trick to easy-peeling eggs is plunging into cold water and peeling while they’re warm.

I tried Instant Pot hard-boiled eggs because I’m not always great with watching timers. They seemed to be cooked right, but the texture of the white was rubbery. I just do them on the stove. Sous vide is great, too. It takes longer but it’s also less picky about how quickly you stop.

3 Likes

They do get rubbery if they sit too long. I do mine for 5 minutes and remove then at ten minutes or before.

I do half a dozen eggs this way a week and hate it when they get rubbery.

1 Like

Once I started using one of these steamers I don’t cook hard-boiled eggs any other way.
There is a little tool to poke a hole in the top of the shell.
They cook for 12 minutes, then put the tray into ice water. (That just stops them from cooking) Shells peel super-easy every.single.time.
71T4azo7kqL.AC_SL1500

3 Likes

I agree that the cold water plunge is key. However I prefer to start eggs in cold water bring to a boil, cover, turn of heat and let stand for 10 minutes.

4 Likes

Y’all like science? Kenji went deeeeeeep on this topic for Serious Eats, and it’s well worth a gander: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

4 Likes
  • Fill pot with water, bring water to boil.
  • Put eggs in water and set timer for whatever type of egg you’re working for.
    ** (as low as 6 minutes for a Ramen egg, 10-12 for egg salad)
  • At a few minutes in, stir the eggs a bit. That will put small cracks in the shell, letting water get in, in between the shell and egg.
  • Pull from water, plunge into ice bath, peel.

Simple.

2 Likes

I’ve found steaming the eggs for 12 minutes gives me a much easier to peel egg than boiling does.

4 Likes

This is the method that I use (though 12 minutes in my pot leaves them a bit damp in the center). The one liability with plain old stovetop steaming is that if your water boils dry you’ll end up with a caramelized spot on one side of your egg. (Because I am lazy and I don’t use a steaming basket.)

1 Like

My Instant Pot is vegetarian. It will never know meat, fish or eggs.

2 Likes

I have one of these and tried eggs in it. I found that it takes too long and I sometimes forget about the 15 minutes and then they overcook.

A faster, better technique:

• Put same strainer in a stovetop pot with same 1 cup of water under it and heat to a boil.
  • When it achieves the boil, put the lid on and let steam for 6-9 minutes. (6 for soft boiled and 9 for hard yolks. Adjust for your location and preferences.)
  • Plunge into cold water (w/ice is best) to stop cooking and be sure to crack the shells at this point. (I buy farm fresh eggs and they’re never easy to peel unless I give them a crack as cooling.) Letting eggs cool slowly causes that blue tint to form around the yolk.

I have a portable induction stovetop that works perfectly for this because it shuts off right at the minute you program it for and heats up fast. So it really takes less than ten minutes to get the eggs I like; cooked with a runny yolk.

1 Like

absolutely LOVE my egg steamer. fantastic for soft boiled eggs two or three days a week

1 Like

I always thought no eggs (unless fertilized) was vegan?

1 Like

I was gonna say: 12 minutes in a steamer basket over boiling water in a pot and then right into an ice bath does the same thing, without having to bother with buying another gadget. 7 minutes to perfect soft boiled as well.

1 Like

Are US eggs different? I keep on seeing lifehacks and tips to make your hard boiled eggs easy peel and I’ve never, ever, ever found eggs to be , in any way, hard to peel. Give them a bash and peel. End of.

2 Likes

US eggs have to be refrigerated, because for some dumbass reason they wash them… but no idea if that makes em easier to peel, I know older eggs make better easy peelers.

4 Likes