EAT BUGS: Monetary incentives distort our perceptions of what's good for us

I think you are overestimating “economists.” I’m pretty sure economics is actually just an intellectually bankrupt pseudo-science. I keep trying to figure out what the evidence is for basically anything they say, and I keep coming up empty. It’s psychology, without experiments, generalized.

If I were going to eat some crickets for the first time I’d want to get the cricket experience, so minimal seasoning. Put a good BBQ sauce on and it could be anything in there.

3 Likes

Right!!

I have a two top which needs one Buttered Cricket, one Cricket Masala, Two haricots verts, a side of Garlic butter… And for fucks sake who has The Ashes this year!?

1 Like

Cricket Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top and spam?

3 Likes

Cut the spam from the menu and I’ll dig right in.

3 Likes

I’m bummed noone has groaned at my ‘cricket experience/ashes’ joke.

3 Likes

Was it a pithy observation about how the ashes seem to be every bloody year now?

1 Like

More of wordplay on the fact that you can’t have a real cricket experience without watching Australia win the ashes.

I may have gone too far, but cricket jokes are quite the sticky wicket.

3 Likes

I had quite enough of that in the 90s to last me a lifetime, thanks.

1 Like

Perhaps the FDA needs to stop using the term “insect filth” – I’m fine with the term “rodent filth”

Guidance Documents & Regulatory Information by Topic > Defect Levels Handbook

Macaroni and Noodle Products

Insect filth
(AOAC 969.41)
Average of 225 insect fragments or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

Rodent filth
(AOAC 969.41)
Average of 4.5 rodent hairs or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing infestation. Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta
Significance: Aesthetic

1 Like

If you assume a perfectly spherical buyer on a frictionless plane made of sellers…

6 Likes

#Same great flavor now with more natural protein!

Some people’s filth is other people’s protein!

3 Likes

My girlfriend feels like that about seafood AND bugs. I miss fish :frowning:
(Though she will eat kippers, which are the least prepossessing of the fish dishes. I love em, but they do look like the kind of thing dogs roll in then show you it like they’ve found special doggy treasure)

4 Likes

Put Marmite on 'em, like Twiglets.

2 Likes

Part of insect preparation is getting them to empty out their bodies first, so that their poop doesn’t need to been eaten.

I don’t know much about eating bugs, except that our simian cousins seem to have no problem with it. And if you make a list like, “How hard would it be to catch and eat ______?”

1. a cat
  2. a rhinoceros
  3. an antelope
  4. a badger

And then you compare these to “an ant,” “a caterpillar,” etc., well hey, eating bugs is easy. You just pick 'em up and stick 'em in your mouth! This might be a clue that we are optimized for eating bugs, with our eyes-front depth perception and our complicated opposable-thumb bug-eating limbs, and that this is our natural food source.

2 Likes

Also, Dave Barry saw the future and he is very disappointed in us.

Say you’re flipping through your 8,479 cable channels, and you come across a program called “Eat Bugs for Money,” wherein they bring out a large live insect and the contestants secretly write down the minimum amount of money they would have to be given to eat it, and whichever one has the lowest bid has to actually do it. Admit it: You would watch this program.

3 Likes

Our natural water source had cavemen bathing in it and a dead moose rotting just out of sight upstream. I’m happy to move beyond that criterion.

4 Likes

…but what if it is Organic Single Source Artisnal Moose Water?

5 Likes

Imported moose water is expensive, might I suggest our own local elk water instead?

that’s what you call a “monetary incentive”

2 Likes

Incentive is always a bad idea. People need to reason more.