EU standardizes edible insect rules

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/19/thats-why-i-eat-worms.html

6 Likes

Chapulines con mezcal. Deliciosos.

7 Likes

They should be putting at least as much effort into sorting out regulations quickly and encouraging development as they are into renewable energy sources. Eating bugs seems like it is definitely going to be a part of making our lives sustainable.

7 Likes

Yes, there is a good chance we will be eating a lot of bugs. Insects are a significant element in many diets around the world. http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3253e/i3253e.pdf

I’d say it is a good thing to have some consistent regs.

4 Likes

I have no qualms eating a bug burger but a I’m not willing to pay fancy prices for some free range, green, gluten free bug meat.

5 Likes

I doubt bugs mind conditions we put our current life stock in, I don’t think this will be a thing.

Some bugs start out green, but by the time they hit your plate they will probably be browned.

Gluten come from grain, so unless they put grain products in your insect burger (wouldn’t surprise me) it should be gluten free.

I understand what you are saying though, insect meat should be a cheaper option, that would push it to bigger market acceptance and create a win-win. In the beginning however hurdles like this (getting the food approved, building farms) will drive up the prices, only acceptance and scale can bring them down. So maybe consider doing your part and buying a few overpriced burgers once they hit your local supermarket?

4 Likes

Icky, really icky.

2 Likes

I am glad that bears, birds, and other bug eaters in the EU will have access to safe, affordable bug burgers.

I will not, however, be joining them. That’s a large order of nope with a side of ewww.

4 Likes

Psychologically, the best way to get people to accept cheap bug burgers may be to sell expensive ones for a while first.

8 Likes

Never had it but always been curious, thus far i havent found any Mexican places here in Austin that offer it but there’s likely to e one, i just haven’t gone out of my way to search yet.

Also about the topic at hand, even if these new regulations aren’t good enough i think it’s a good sign that attitudes toward alternative sources of food are changing. Seems like there’s room for improvement but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

2 Likes

What do they call a Bugburger in France?

5 Likes

Royale Warrior Bug with cheese

10 Likes

“That’s mine, the one with Big Grasshopper on it…”

5 Likes

6 Likes

“Say Weta one more time!”

5 Likes

I’ve eaten crickets in Japan and silkworm soup in South Korea. The crickets were quite scrumptious, even after I found out what they were, halfway through. The soup was quite tasty, but I didn’t really enjoy the silkworms in it.

1 Like

I’ve eaten bugs before but extremely minimally. My parents don’t like maple syrup so my mom makes sugar syrup, which she keeps in the pantry… occasionally though seldomly ants will get into it. Typically my parents aren’t bothered by it and will continue to use the syrup, i’m not picky about it either. I’ve also had honey that had chunks on bees in it, and one time i was eating cereal and after i finished i noticed that the cereal container had little bugs on it, which i did find gross but i didn’t notice while eating it and didn’t get sick after so no big deal i guess.

The concept of eating bugs doesn’t necessarily bother me but certain bug types i am less keen to eat if given the chance.

4 Likes

friendly reminder how incredibly tough these spider-hunting children are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra4WmE-joMQ

*edit: yes i know they aren’t insects. they have much more meat than any insect does, except for perhaps some large grubs

3 Likes

I haven’t seem them for sale in USA either. We’ve brought them home from Mexico. They are salty/crisp and pair perfectly with good mezcal.

1 Like

Had deep fried scorpions in China years ago. While rather gruesome looking on the plate (claws, stinger, etc. all present) they were OK. Kinda like “cheezy poofs”. Especially after 4 or 5 “compai’s”.

2 Likes