Scientists cook with bug butter made from insects

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/09/scientists-cook-with-bug-butte.html

5 Likes

I was doing so well until that photo of a larval mass…

Can I get a unicorn chaser, please? Made entirely of non-insect products?

7 Likes

Not the sort of unicorn chaser you had in mind? Sorry. :wink:

17 Likes

I hope for humanity’s sake we can get past the aversion to eating insects, but I don’t think it’s going to be soon.

6 Likes

I think i’d be game for trying it at least but i wonder if the properties of the “butter” and its taste are comparable to regular butter

5 Likes

I hope they resist the urge to surprise guests with the news about what they’ve just ate.

Can you make ice cream with it? Just a thought.

9 Likes

Why bother? We have perfectly inedible margarine already.

5 Likes

This lady seems to be coping.

4 Likes

Tell that to the 80% of the world’s population that already eat insects as part of their diet. (I mean deliberately, rather than accidentally or unknowingly, as in the US, with our diet of cochineal and incidental cockroach bits…)

8 Likes

Just don’t waste fresh tube grubs on it.

Tube Grubs

5 Likes

Black soldier fly larvae normally eat feces. This makes using them super environmentally friendly, e.g. cow farms can feed the larvae on cow shit and then grind up the larvae for cow feed. For human food, though, I really wonder what they fed those larvae on.
“Bug butter” will turn off a lot of poeple, but “shit bug butter” might be an impossible sell

4 Likes

Honestly, I’ll take it.

4 Likes

larvhecepbish

12 Likes

8 Likes

7 Likes

I’d eat me some bug butter waffles. Mmmm. Waffles. It overrides the bug butteriness. Especially with syrup. Maybe even bug sugar syrup, if there was such a thing. Is that honey?

4 Likes

They are actually WAY cooler than that. One of their biggest selling points is that they will eat poop (you can then feed them to chickens) but they actually will eat just about ANYTHING. Human/cow/pet shit, kitchen waste, agricultural waste, meat, fat, etc. Unlike some insects which are killed by caffeine eating coffee grounds makes them consume their food faster! They will eat whatever you give them usually in about 8 hours (imagine a composting toilet that completely breaks down poop in 8 hours). But it gets even better. Once they are ready to pupate they 1) self harvest by crawling away from their food and towards light and 2) disgorge the contents of their digestive tract reducing their chances of passing on pathogens. They are the perfect wast treatment bug.

4 Likes
1 Like

Butter? Bah!

(Okay, it’s glycol. Details, details!)

4 Likes

Stop trying to push your creationist mumbo-jumbo ideas here man!