Eat your Christmas tree?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/05/eat-your-christmas-tree.html

Yule love the taste.

14 Likes

Make everything taste like gin.

6 Likes

That’s Euell.

11 Likes

Pretty sure every tree I’ve ever bought was soaked in preservatives and sprayed with pesticides not approved for food crops

8 Likes

Alternate title: James “Logan” Howlett’s Foraging for Retired Mutants

1 Like

Hard no.

Unless you can vouchsafe you’ve got an unsprayed tree, just skip this naive suggestion.

Pesticides used for ornamental plants have a far different set of standards to meet than conventionally grown food crops meant for [human] consumption.

10 Likes

I planted a black spruce sapling in my front yard specifically so I could both have a Christmas tree next year and also make spruce beer.

6 Likes

Was coming here to say that all cedar aren’t all toxic, the cedar berries of the juniper variety are what flavors gin.

2 Likes

I always thought rosemary resembled pine needles. Am I thinking of the right thing?

rosemary has pinene, a chemical also found in pines (and parsley and dill and pot), but the plants aren’t closely related. ETA: Both are “evergreens”, plants that stay green throughout the year, but that’s not a taxonomic classification. I used to confuse evergreens and conifers, as it was a random gap in my knowledge. Was visiting my brother in California where they have live oaks, an evergreen oak, and he (who generally knows a lot less about plants than me), was pointing one out and saying it was an evergreen, but also an oak. I rolled my eyes and said, “no it’s winter, it’s an evergreen, evergreens have cones, oaks have acorns, and if you look here…”, and found myself pointing at a whole bunch of acorns. Oops. Live oaks are oaks.

4 Likes

I have a friend that takes a quick camp trip to the desert every year after the holidays and they burn their tree in a fire ring. The videos are pretty cool.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.