Eating that placenta isn't going to do you any good

We placed our the placenta from our daughter under a new tree in our backyard. We planted another tree for our son (no placenta for him, though). After 2 years, there is no noticeable difference in size between the trees. I’m sure there’s a lesson to be learned from this, but I’m not sure what it is.

1 Like

Well if you’re not gonna eat it. . . .

Look, there are children starving in (fill-in-the-blank) who would love to eat that placenta, and besides, you’re not getting desert until you finish it.

2 Likes

Usually my first question to expecting parents. Are you going to eat the placenta?

Though I do like the idea of planting it under a tree. When our kids were born, they did ask us at the hospital if we wanted to keep it. (In fact I believe at the time there was some kind of outfit that preserved it - for a fee- should you need it at a later time, for the stem cells or something.)

“It’s wafer-thin…”

1 Like

BINGO! Dude, I totally hit the diagonal on my BS pseudomedicine bingo card! What do I win?

1 Like

That trees like nitrogen and phosphorous rich fertilizers?

That adding a wee bit of extra fertilizer when repotting will lead to more robust root growth and a quantifiable mass increase in later years?

Something something fish with corn NA agricultural wisdom etc…

There are real, concrete superiority benefits.

You’re better than the other slacker Moms who don’t love their children enough, and you can rub that in for the next 30 years.

1 Like

Placenta is full of viral particles. During pregnancy both human endogenous retroviruses, as well as foreign retroviruses get produced in large quantities in the placental tissue specifically. We don’t have a whole lot of research to determine whether or not it’s a good idea to be exposed to a fresh batch of ancient viruses, but every time I read about placentophagy I can’t help but be reminded of Darwin’s Radio.

You forgot to include the best one out there: “science changes, therefore it doesn’t know some things, therefore it can’t know anything!”

Ah, yes. It’s very easy to keep your kid on a gluten-free, free range, organic diet when you breastfeed 'till it’s six years old.

Do you grill it or chunk it into a stew or what?

1 Like

There’s services that will freeze-dry it, and put it in capsules.

“it’s in capsules! Just like from the pharmacy! That means it’s medicine, instead of discarded biohazardous waste!”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.