Eating that placenta isn't going to do you any good

[Read the post]

ā€œno evidence for any benefitā€ certainly depends upon what one considers to be a ā€œbenefitā€. Regardless of whatever other benefits one might imagine, I am sure that each one has the nutritional components of one placenta. It doesnā€™t seem likely that they would be devoid of normal nutritional value.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll take their observations/experimentation as evidence it doesnā€™t help w/post partum depression or pain relief any more than a sugar pill. Iā€™ll accept that it does not promote lactation.

But if I were a hungry mama wolf who just gave birth in a cloistered den, itā€™s a snack ainā€™t it?

Someone wants to plant a tree with it, okay, whatever floats yo boat, but to me itā€™s medical waste.

2 Likes

35 years ago I was among a circle of mid-wives in Southern California. I donā€™t know about now, but back then it was risky business.

Most of these Earth mommas were vegans. Their trip with placentas was to plant them under trees. I like that idea.

Too, I hope people do keep in mind that mortal scientists always have the luxury of revising their knowledge with new discoveries.

2 Likes

Also, in my earlier years I assumed that placentophagy was more frequent due to an unfortunate confusion with the word ā€œpolentaā€. I donā€™t remember when I got the confusion sorted, but it was probably a funny conversation.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t even know that placentophagy was a thing. To learn about it before my second coffee of the day isā€¦ unsettling. I think Iā€™m going to need a chaser.

As for this idea that ā€œwomen choosing placentophagy, who may otherwise be very careful about what they are putting into their bodiesā€ would avoid anything not supported by science, I would say the opposite is probably true; seems like just the sort of fringe medicine that goes with so many other questionable, unverified practices.

2 Likes

Well who are you going to trust, a bunch of pointy-headed scientists or a Kardashian?

6 Likes

I canā€™t imagine it would be bad for you, and at the end of the day, itā€™s free calories and you have just given birth.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not entirely comfortable with the research presented here. Thereā€™s a lot of claims that previous research had the biology of placentophagy wrong, but the study hereā€™s not really data-driven to support that claim, and Dr. Paulā€™s background is actually psychology, which may leave her a little under-prepared with dosage and epidemiological analysis. All in all, Iā€™m not 100% confident that all the conclusions reached herein are actually her scope of practice.

Iā€™ll be sitting back and waiting on some of the other research responses to it.

As for the potential counterpoints and existance or non-existance of evidence: http://placentabenefits.info/research.asp

1 Like

11 Likes

Iā€™ve been told by vegans that placentas are one of the few meats theyā€™ll indulge in, as it involves no death or the suffering of an animal.

Childbirth doesnā€™t involve suffering?

7 Likes

Sorry. A non-human animal.

So cannibalism is okay?
[ducks and covers]

3 Likes

Any placenta or just placentas that they personally provided? I sense a market opportunity!

2 Likes

I thought that the whole point was to absorb and control the spirit of the child.
Edit: this is why benefits are not seen immediately ā€“ the true benefits are realized during the teen years.

8 Likes

Isnā€™t it obvious that the Wholistic and Alternative benefits of placenta devouring would be hard to detect in studies; because ā€˜studiesā€™ come from a perspective of explicitly privileging the hegemonic epistemic imperialism of so called ā€˜empiricismā€™; and its chemical death-cult of allopathic ā€˜medicineā€™?

Only a modality that promotes healing, not masking ā€˜symptomsā€™, and honors the bodyā€™s wisdom can advance our understanding of the benefits.

(Did I remember to check all the boxes?)

14 Likes

Iā€™m going to pretend youā€™re all talking about polenta, and get on with my day.

4 Likes

It would be crude to assume that one would heal thusly by eating the physical placenta. I will stick to eating the placenta of my astral body, thank you!

3 Likes

My (motherā€™s) placenta was planted under a tree, in the early 1970s. I occasionally wonder if I should go & see if the tree is still there.

The first I heard of placenta eating was when I saw it on TV in the late 1990s.

1 Like