Edward Gorey's macabre tarot deck from 1966

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/18/edward-goreys-macabre-tarot.html

2 Likes

Are we not to actually see the images, then…?

I’d love to see a new version of Cliff Johnson’s “The Fool’s Errand” written around this deck. Seems like just the ticket, considering how well Doki Doki Literature Club and its ilk took off.

(I wish he still wasn’t looking for $40 for the sequel. Yes, it was in development forever and he probably deserves the money, but it’s hard to justify that expenditure when I have so much else that I haven’t played.)

5 Likes

“Edward Gorey’s macabre tarot deck from 1966”

Using the adjective “macabre” to describe anything from Gorey is completely redundant.

7 Likes

Gorean? Goreiic?

Great collection of Goreiilia on the “creepy” Antiques Roadshow episode currently streaming on PBS.

1 Like

One shouldn’t forget to mention The Curious Sofa he wrote under the name Ogdred Weary; definitely an erotic classic.

Also, pretty sure that’s a body inside the bundle.

1 Like

On wishlist in 1, 2, 3…

2 Likes

For those who don’t have time to read the new bio, here’s a New Yorker profile of Gorey:

4 Likes

Oooo lookie! One of my own kind!

1 Like

A note: if you would rather benefit the keepers of Gorey’s legacy, the pack can be ordered directly from the official Gorey Store. The online store is affiliated with the museum maintained in Gorey’s home in Yarmouth Port, MA, on Cape Cod. If you ever find yourself on the Cape, don’t miss this stop — it’s one of the most incredible places I’ve ever seen, and well worth the price of admission (and the detour from the highway).

4 Likes

According to the accompanying interpretation instructions, appearance of The Bundle indicates: a tedious illness, inadequate drainage, a broken engagement, a train accident, malaise, false friends, hangnails, misconduct, aphasia, regrets, disappointment, and/or fluctuation. Or that it’s Wednesday.

4 Likes

indeed, the bundle immediately reminded me of Miike’s Audition

no bundle, a melting hand grenade.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.