Eighth-grade student launches a book club to discuss banned books

Originally published at: Eighth-grade student launches a book club to discuss banned books | Boing Boing

12 Likes

34 Likes

In November, there was intense debate between parents and school board members at several meetings about LGBTQ + -themed books that would be available to high school library students. Worried parents said the book contained adult content with inappropriate graphics and demanded that the book be removed.

Director Christian Temchatin confirmed that the books in question were purchased by the district, but they were not placed on the shelves of the school library or made available to students. School officials did not specify the title of the book.

So incredibly vague!

8 Likes

22 Likes

Do they need funding to purchase these books?

I would really enjoy helping these young happy mutants in their subversive reading program.

22 Likes

Animated GIF

18 Likes

On purpose, I suspect. So the kids don’t go pick them up somewhere else. I think every school library should have a poster listing every banned book. You know, so the kids don’t ask the librarian for books they don’t have wink

I’ve considered calling my local library and asking if they need any extra copies of the books under attack here. I would totally chip in for a fund for these banned book clubs.

13 Likes

Hold on, on what conceivable grounds is Animal Farm banned? Are the school board all tankies?

13 Likes

Awesome! There should be a club like this in every school that has a reading list based on the local banned book list.
Has a student ever been expelled for doing extra reading on their own time?

6 Likes

This is great.
I’d like to see a nation wide banned book club.

6 Likes

But how? Walk to the nearest bookshop and buy it? Go browsing unsupervised in a well-stocked library?

Suburban, backseat-grown children I so easily controlled :frowning:

4 Likes

This is part of a concerted effort, of course. The challenge text is pretty much a copy and paste job from a list that’s being passed around the RWNJ circles, with two primary targets being Gender Queer and Lawn Boy.

These LGBTQ and Antiracists Books are Being Review Bombed …

10 Likes

I work with young people everyday - they constantly amazing me with their clear insight to today’s problems.

On the other hand — totally pissed my Gen X brothers and sisters have not done enough to preserve the blessings of our liberty for all humans. We knew the truth in our youth.

8 Likes

Oh thanks. There are several books called “Lawn Boy” and a mention of "Lawn Boy by Jonathan Evison and “Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe” not only would help readers find the book, but it would also inspire reporters to talk to these authors (or at least their publicists.)

6 Likes

Awesome! Do these two books next:

(Gloria Goes to Gay Pride was probably banned because it had a page that showed the counter-protesting homophobes as ignorant shiat-heels. Y’know… facts!)

10 Likes

In short, yes:

http://cbldf.org/2017/02/everythings-orwellian-school-removes-animal-farm-from-curriculum/

and also:

9 Likes

John Birch Society

What? The John Birch Society is one of the least tankie organisations out there. They represent a totally different form of authoritarian evil.

Presumably on the grounds that the animals revolted over their mistreatment by Farmer Jones at the start of the book.

12 Likes

And yet Animal Farm was required reading in my Minnesota junior high school back in the 80’s. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

11 Likes

Yup. The conservatives in my 'hood in the 80s thought Animal Farm made excellent anti-Soviet propaganda.

Weird times, these.

13 Likes

Aren’t those books rather old? Public Libraries like a constant churn of books coming in and out.

Sure, very large libraries will keep historically important editions around, but not every branch has a half million titles.