Electric Ladyland is a museum of fluorescent art in Amsterdam

Originally published at: Electric Ladyland is a museum of fluorescent art in Amsterdam | Boing Boing

5 Likes
3 Likes

This is already on my schedule to visit when I play tourist in Amsterdam in June (bookending a rollercoaster tour of Sweden and Denmark)! Found it on Atlas Obscura, just like in the article.

1 Like

Oblig. the Electric Lady herself

3 Likes

I’ve been here, it’s great. It’s basically just a private basement tricked out with blacklights, lots of fluorescent artwork and some displays with things like mineral specimens and samples of money to show off the fluorescent-based anti-counterfeit features, but the hosts are super friendly and informative and make it a fun, educational experience that’s more than the sum of its parts. And if you’re lucky maybe you’ll see their cat on the way in.

5 Likes

RE: My glowy rocks and a few other things

1 Like

That is a great display.

1 Like

The city leaders have made it clear that tourists are unwelcome now. It’s a pity, I used to like the place. Good luck to them, even though the Calvinists spoiled it.

Your info is a little out of date; mushrooms have been illegal in the Netherlands for over 10 years now.

That’s a bit of a stretch. They have proposed banning smoking cannabis and drinking alcohol on the streets of De Wallen - the central old town area where the red light is located. Coffee shops will still be open, bars will still be open - they are trying to improve quality of life for local residents. Last thing they want is to lose tourist income.

Oh, and welcome to BoingBoing!

I visited it like 15 years ago and it was the highlight of my trip! glad to hear it’s still operating.

One of my favorite things as a kid was the fluorescent rock room in the Morris Museum, NJ’s Sterling Hills and Franklin region being one of the greatest sources of fluorescent minerals. This was also beside the dinosaur exhibits, where I learned to look for the dinosaur footprints that could once be seen running up the natural slate steps of the Morris County Courthouse.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.