Electric motor rebuilds, DIY growler?

One of the bearings stuck in the commutator end cap, which is a blind hole so you can’t knock it out from the back with a hammer.

I decided to drive it out hydraulically by packing the hole with stiff grease and hammering a reasonably tight fitting drift pin into it, forcing the grease up under the inner race and pushing the bearing up and out.

The center hole’s 12mm, so I figured I’d take a piece of half inch steel rod, cut it to length nice and square, then taper it to about 11.8mm-ish (half inch is 13mm).

I don’t have a metal cutting band saw, but I have a drill press and a Miller’s Falls hacksaw that’s about a hundred years old.

Right after I took the picture above, I stuck a piece of pvc pipe through an old crate and put it around the portion of rod sticking through the center hole of the drill press table. That way, when I cut off the piece for making a drift, I wouldn’t get two and a half feet of free spinning steel rod smashing into my knees.

It worked, my knees were happy, and most importantly this lazy man’s hacksaw method ensured a perfectly flat end on the drift, which I’m pretty sure is necessary.

3 Likes