Elementary students assigned elf murder case

We’re overlooking the most important message here: Snitches get stiches

12 Likes

Mr. Christie, you make good corpses

3 Likes

Whenever I see something like this, I wonder if that one parent was really outraged? Or was it just a golden opportunity to gain a smidgin of power and fame by acting outraged? So much “outrage” is gussied-up concern trolling. What if the children learn that violence exists? What if one of them was descended from elves?

14 Likes

How very dare you!? I am outraged… very outraged… we’ll not very outraged…

9 Likes

Um, has anyone seen Rob?

23 Likes

I think the exercise is cool but for elementary kids? I don’t think that was a good call, would rather do this with high school students. I recall when my class did a mock trial and that was a ton of fun.

3 Likes

Anyone who asks to bring the Grinch in is profiling.

Still murder and death, even the fictional kind, turn my nine year old daughter into a empathetic blubbering mess. It’s not her thing. She hates it. If this is a assignment she must complete for a grade and she came home after crying all day over it I wouldn’t be too happy either.

7 Likes

What about orcs?

5 Likes

It turned out to be Santa behind the killings. “I don’t understand it”, a neighbor said, “he seemed like such a jolly old elf”.

11 Likes

There are so many ODs downtown that every time I hear a siren and see that it’s not a fire truck my automatic assumption is that they are racing off to administer Naxalone to somebody.

Everyone who was ever a student thinks they are qualified to make teacher-level decisions, and that’s ok because the world would have a lot fewer teachers in it if this were not the case.

2 Likes

kids that age have been interested in solving mysteries since the days of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. i think this is brilliant, and applaud such a creative, engaged teacher. in regards to the crime, it seems like it was intended to send a message to Santa, so he better watch out.

14 Likes

Like “was he offed with a Snap, a Crackle or a Pop?”

11 Likes

“That’s Grrrrrreat!”

8 Likes

All the warning signs were there. He kept himself to himself. Was very judgemental. Is it too early to discuss Pop-gun Control?

5 Likes

That photo’s gross, but maybe later someone becomes an ER nurse.

Insert url for Calvin and Hobbes panel, “Oh no! Not another learning experience!”

15-20 yrs ago I had a pre-school-teacher-mentor repeat to me what she used to tell parents of her little students, which was basically, “Please don’t judge us on the basis of what the children tell you when they get home, and we won’t judge you on the basis of what your children say about you while they’re at school”.

14 Likes

I’m good with kids solving age-appropriate mysteries, and I was eyebrow-deep into them when I was a kid, but I would have been a bit ticked if this had happened in my nine-year-old’s classroom. Just because some kids can handle this stuff doesn’t mean that everyone can… or should.

2 Likes

You know what’s a better writing prompt than a murdered elf? A missing elf.

Let the kid jump to the idea of murder if they want to, don’t make them all think about violent death. What if one of those children had experienced a murder within their own family–it’s not right to assume they all come from perfectly balanced, well-insulated home lives.

9 Likes

I agree. You just can’t make assumptions about what trauma a given child has experienced. And the violent death angle is not necessary to the fun of the assignment, which is that it is novel, engaging, timely, and collaborative. All of those things can be achieved in a trauma informed way.

5 Likes

I regret I have only one heart to give this comment.

3 Likes