Elvis Costello and Iggy Pop in conversation with Rolling Stone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/10/elvis-costello-and-iggy-pop-in-conversation-with-rolling-stone.html

2 Likes

In before RS is a corporate rag / not relevant any more / what even is a magazine / etc

1 Like

Wow Elvis can ramble…like his enthusiasm though. Iggy can hardly get a word in!

Yeah, Iggy looks great! & I would love to hear him speak more, with some space to think, relax & go deep Unfortunately Elvis does most of the talking & Iggy ends up having to fight not to be contantly interrupted.

1 Like

Elvis is one of those rare guys who is still at top form after all these years, IMO.
ATM, I cannot think of another artist who has consistently put out good work for this long.
I’ve seen him many times live including in the last 5 years and he’s still got it.
I miss his show Spectacle. That was brilliant.

2 Likes

I think they hired the moderator off craig’s list.

Tom Waits.

1 Like

wow, so cool that Iggy mentions playing a show in San Francisco with Alice Cooper, and comprising the front row were the legendary Cockettes! that would’ve been an amazing show. every time i see interviews with Iggy, i’m blown away that he remembers all the things he does, considering, you know, the life he’s led.

2 Likes

for no man…

1 Like

I would like to hear Jim Osterberg, raconteur. He has some stories…

I thought the interplay had potential…as he says, a generation in music is 5 years, so they have some things in common but come from different generations, in that sense. I could watch an hour or more of this interspersed with performance video.

1 Like

At first I thought this must be from the archives—like, how could Iggy Pop still be alive :confused:

There is something that is joyful and egalitarian about what may be misunderstood as ‘violent energy’ around Iggy Pop’s music. As others have commented Elvis was too talkative… so what!? His brain seems to be wired in a way that offers praise for Iggy’s music by legitimizing their shared history with their inter-sectional history. Iggy seems eternally optimistic/critical with a more personal ‘point of view’.

Wasn’t expecting to last the distance on this video, but absolutely captivating!

The Stone’s interviewer was clearly treading water, which was a great relief from an interviewer wrangling the conversation back to a bunch of bullet point questions .

ETA My point is that Iggy is well suited to champion the queer nature of music performance i.e. the Cockettes!

i didn’t think he was too talkative. he’s a chatty guy, and his brain is always going – which is why he had a talk show, for instance. iggy’s definitely more reserved and he had no trouble jumping in when he wanted to. and i thought the interviewer was doing what i would do: shut up and let the legends just roll with whatever they wanted to talk about. The Zoom format is hard for everyone. he did try here and there to redirect to a talking point, but overall i’d have been fine listening to whatever they had on their minds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.