Email sign-off alignment chart

I alternate between “Cheers”, “Regards”, and “Thanks” depending on recipient and subject. The alignments shown generally match to those scenarios.

3 Likes

I’m pretty reliably lawful neutral, apparently. I’m ok with this.

Thanks,
apalatn

4 Likes

Mine is neither of those. I do sometimes use “Thanks,” but more often than not i wrap up my emails with “If you need anything let me know”.

6 Likes

Mark, I wish to make a complaint! Alignment charts are usually Rob’s bailiwick and you have now lowered my average for guessing which of the main posters have contributed each item.

8 Likes

I use “Best, [my name]” & my private implied Humptey-Dumptey sentence is, “I am the best [my name] that exists.” But I believe neutral good people use it to mean “Best regards” or “Best wishes.”

4 Likes

Same

(I think somebody is having a laugh.)

2 Likes

Your Most Humbled and Obtuse Savant?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Where do TTFN and FOAD fall?

One of my sisters uses “In His name…” That’s gotta be evil.

5 Likes

To all you iphone users https://www.iphonelife.com/content/tip-day-remove-sent-my-iphone-your-email-signature Thank you.

3 Likes

I think that “Sincerely” should be moved to Neutral Evil and no sign off should be True Neutral.

I have a client who uses “Kind Regards”. It makes me cringe every damn time.

8 Likes

What alignment am I when sign off with “F_ck off!” ?

(yeah I self censored myself, didn’t want to be to crude just for a joke)

2 Likes

Cocktail fact o’ the day: “Ciao” is etymologically derived from L. ‘scliavo:’ ‘I am your slave…’

7 Likes

Try as I might, at this point it seems unlikely that “best” will ever read in my head as anything other than “better than you”

4 Likes

I’m chaotic good to the point where sometimes people who don’t normally use that as a signoff will start using it on e-mails to me, and I wonder if they’re mocking me…

3 Likes

Try French - much more formal in the way they sign off letters

• Veuillez recevoir, Monsieur/Madame, mes salutations distinguées is used for general business or formal letters. This phrase is similar to “yours sincerely” in a letter written in English.
  • Veuillez agréer, Monsieur/Madame, l’assurance de mon parfaite considération is used if you are writing to someone who would be considered your equal, or someone in an inferior position to yourself. For example, you might use this expression if you were a business owner writing a vendor.
  • Use Je vous prie d’agréer, Monsieur/Madame, l’expression de mes sentiments respectueux if you are writing to someone who would generally be considered your superior, such as if you are applying for a job.
  • Je vous prie de croire, Monsieur/Madame, à l’assurance de mes salutations distinguées is used if you are writing to a dignitary or elected official. It means something closer to “yours faithfully,” and implies a subjugation to the recipient.
    https://www.wikihow.com/End-a-Letter-in-French
5 Likes

As long as the recipient doesn’t expect me to write the rest of the letter in French; my French sucks. :smiley:

5 Likes

Well now I feel judged. I might come up with something just to thwart this chart, like “Giving You Email,” or “Yours Electronically,” or “Standing Behind You”.

12 Likes

What, no entry for the super long e-mail signature/tome? (Bonus when it has an entire photo gallery attached to it.)

I always facepalm at the:

Thanks,

Bob

… style signature.

Like, FFS, you can’t be bothered to type “thanks” yourself?

6 Likes

I use something like “Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse any typos or terseness.”

5 Likes

For me the worst offenders are the ones that reformat the email to have some kind of custom background. I don’t see them a lot but it does annoy the hell out of me as it can make reading the email chain a bit harder.

5 Likes