Email sign-off alignment chart

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/13/email-sign-off-alignment-chart.html

3 Likes

Seems weird as I use all of these, it depends on the context/content of the email…not my alignment.

8 Likes

Ya know what, at this point I’ll take CG.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Where does “Take care” fall?

6 Likes

how about “Be Best,”

13 Likes

chaotic neutral to chaotic good.

7 Likes

“Best” always reads as neutral evil to me, and I have no idea why.

12 Likes

Chaotic good and lawful evil.

Occasionally my profession takes me into the co-operative housing realm. When I’m contacting a co-op I always sign off with “In co-operation,”. It’s a kind of a nod within the sector.

9 Likes

I’ve been using “cheers” for almost as long as I’ve been using e-mail, but this is making me consider switching to “your faithful servant.”

23 Likes

This one stuck out at me as incorrect on the chart as well- I got irritated when it first started showing up, and I think your placement makes sense, because it’s pleasant sounding yet undermined by its lazy insincerity. Like they can’t be bothered to complete the implied sentence and just limply type one word.

5 Likes

Yr Mst Hmbl &Ob’t Svt.
Guess I’m neutral good; I picked up that habit corresponding with acquaintances in Britain.

12 Likes

I am neutrally evil. Sounds about right.

7 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering about Yr. Obdt. Svt. and the like

2 Likes

what is the complete sign-off then? Best wishes? Best regards?

3 Likes

You can tell how annoyed with people I’m getting through my email sign off at work.

Normal, business casual -> Thanks, Firstname.
Getting rather annoyed now -> Firstname.
I am completely fed up with this entire conversation now -> no sign off.

9 Likes

One of those, or who even knows. “wishing you Best regards” or something like that.

All the others stand on their own as one word sentiments. But “best” is only a comparative and so doesn’t have enough information to convey anything. Best what?

2 Likes

I don’t know! Best Feelings

“best” is actually what I use most, and this is making me realize that I use it precisely because it is so ambiguous.

5 Likes

MFG.

But why is ciao evil? Is this a slur against Italians?

5 Likes