Emboldened by right-wing Supreme Court, conservatives take aim at gay marriage

She’s STILL around???

Who is bankrolling her these days Presumably some rich bastard who spends all their days railing against people getting handouts.

5 Likes

Since this changes would probably not be made retroactive, he would be fine with voting for them. He already got his own, after all.

At least as far as I have seen none of these rights rollbacks have had retroactive effects (like, abortions done under Roe haven’t been prosecuted, etc), so I doubt they would dare to declare all same-sex married couples in the US suddenly unmarried.

1 Like

Takes 2/3 majority, or 67 votes for impeachment conviction. Which is a far stretch. Given the seats up this year, I don’t think it’s even possible.

@smulder

susto coca GIF by Luccas Neto

3 Likes

… unfortunately, most arguments against it ultimately amount to, “Can’t EVERYBODY just AGREE with ME?” :thinking:

4 Likes

Funded by the Wilkes Brothers.

Among the Wilks church’s prescribed directives to female members of the flock: be ruled by men, don’t work outside of the house, and do not speak during religious services.

Religious freedom…

11 Likes

Oh, you never know. With the current SC, they can probably find some sanskrit writing to base a decision on.

5 Likes

I don’t know who’s in charge of maintaining the building and the judges’ offices, but whoever is in charge of them should have them set up a little committee to come up with suggestions for how to add four additional office suites, have archtects with plans and tape measures roam the place, and so on.

5 Likes

Slight nit-picky correction: the voters of rural KENTUCKY didn’t return her to office, not my own state of North Carolina (though we do have a Rowan County, to which my county of Iredell is adjacent).

4 Likes

Thomas sits on the 10th associate justice chair, relic of an 11+ justice court. Maybe there are shuttered and cobwebbed offices where no one ever goes, or talks about?

“One of Scalia’s clerks went in on a bet.”
“What happened?”
“After that, he was never recognized by the court.”
“Skweeee!”

4 Likes

Pure unadulterated 1 Corinthians 14:34.

Hand to God, I don’t get it…

When the Democrats win both the House & the Senate in Nov, they should give the ‘moderate’ R’s some unpalatable concessions on legislation just to get the Court back to reasonableness.

Also think Harris should pick a (R) VP to lock up the neutral & center-right voters & kill OFG in a landslide

Absolutely fucking not. Once (R) can show they can do stuff in good faith maybe, but they need to do a whole lot of penance first.

FUCK NO

13 Likes

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

13 Likes

What you gain from the centrists you will lose from the left, and no amount of berating will bring them back.

Is it really worth it?

13 Likes

There was a period when there were at least 11 justices on the court. They retired other seats as people died, to bring it down to 9, and didn’t renumber the remaining seats, so Thomas inherited the 10th associate justice seat.

What happened to the offices of those retired justice seats, did they redistribute the space, or just leave them as they were, and lock the door?

6 Likes

Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan

The reality is that when you ask about policies, most Americans agree with the Democratic party more than the GOP, especially when they express more progressive positions. For once, the GOP needs to do the work to appeal to where the majority of voters actually are instead of this stupid constantly chasing of right wing voters… Drag those assholes into the future with us… fuck giving them more oxygen, when I don’t think they make up a majority of humanity…

12 Likes

Same assholes backing Paxton and the Nat-C politicians in Texas

8 Likes

Yeah, lots of stuff.

6 Likes

Do you still believe there is any room at all for compromise with fascists? There is not. When every damned insurrectionist, fascist, trumpist asshole has been purged, and there is some sign of a functional center-right party again, maybe. Every attempt to deal with them has been turned against us. No more.

13 Likes