Empowering feminist drawings to brighten your day

[quote=“Benjamin_Jones, post:19, topic:54344”]
Why are both concepts met with the same mockery?
[/quote]Spiteful mockery?

Because all concepts are met with spiteful mockery. It’s a part of our human condition, for better or worse. What we all have to decide is if we’ll allow inevitable mockery to disrupt our lives and aspirations or progress forward despite the naysayers.

I think we also have to watch out for being locked into perpetual, over-the-top angst against good-natured ribbing as well. I know I can be guilty of that especially after chatting with some right-wingers after a while. It can get me jumpy and defensive.

It seems like you’ve got it under control for the most part and you’re passing on very good qualities to your kids. You should be very proud of yourself.

As far as panels being made for men, I don’t think it’s necessary to ask for the author to do that. If someone else wants to make some, go for it.

It reminds me of criticism of Noam Chomsky. People jump on his shit for critiquing the United States and incessantly ask for him to also create articles that champion the USA. I think his response is if that’s what’s you’re looking for, there’s already a vast, corporate media apparatus for that. It’s pretty well-covered already.

If you feel there’s a dearth of empowering drawings for male feminists, I would suggest using your kids as inspiration and sharing some text here. If you only want to come up with the text, I’ll find/create some graphics for it too if you’d like. It sounds like a fun project.

1 Like

Not a great example, men are frequently portrayed as dumb, gullible and incompetent in advertising.

What’s wrong with truth in advertising?

2 Likes

Y’all are awesome.

My partner commented how her first husband would make a show of incompetence at some necessary task, so she’d have to do it. And that she’s noticed that a lot of men do this.

4 Likes

Those men should get a scout badge that simultaneously berates them for their laziness while also commending them for their crafty nature.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I think if you see patriarchy purely as a power imbalance, there’s no question which gender has more of it and it doesn’t make a lot of sense to expect corresponding treatment for men. On the other hand, what I want to see is a society that works well together, with people respecting each other, having equal opportunities to thrive and succeed, participating equally in society, not being divided from each other by their identity, not being pushed into molds and expected to folow certain paths that are unhealthy and not right for them. Men are often given the message that they are strong and important - more important than women and children. That isn’t healthy and it definitely harms women and children - but it also harms those men, as they end up living lives where they don’t experience necessary, healthy human relationships.

Both boys and girls need to be told that they can succeed and be given examples of how to associate with others, how to treat them and what to expect from them. I really don’t get the idea that men who don’t respect women do so because they have too much self-respect, and learning to respect women wouldn’t reduce their self-respect at all. Part of the problem with patriarchy seems to be that people end up with such fragile egos and take that out on others; a series like this can help both men and women to let go of their insecurities, respect others more and be happier with who they are.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Thanks Lanika.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.