End #vanlife

As long as you brought some dank carpet along i think you would’ve been safe

4 Likes

Is not the correct phrasing, “I almost beschizzad myself in that van!”, or is that only in the future perfect tense?

5 Likes

Yes. Well played.

We must be spiritual siblings. My 1969 Volvo 145 got me into and out of a lot of trouble up and down California in the 80s. That old car broke down in a bunch of different magnificent places – Yosemite, Independence, Big Sur, Trona, the Grapevine – but was simple enough that I could usually bush-rig it into a condition to get to civilization and repairs. I did have a tendency to take it on roads (and off roads) in places that only a fool would venture.

It went for well over 100k miles, which I recall as being pretty rare for cars before the Japanese manufacturing revolution.

5 Likes

Either Toyota toaster van or Previa AWD, does not matter. Both are just as cool as any VW bus, Westfalia or otherwise. In fact, I might rank a Mitsubishi Delica above any other choice.

2 Likes

I wanna say Adam Savage had a similar Volvo, looking it up and it was a 1978 Volvo 45DL. He talked about it in a podcast and loving it because it didn’t look like a pickup so no one bothered him about helping move stuff with his car (link below about him writing about it elsewhere)

6 Likes

There was a time when I could fit my whole life in the back of that Volvo. And if you put the back seat down, it was big enough to sleep in.

3 Likes

It was a good run, @jlw. Good and bad memories - what makes a life. I’m glad you let Serendipity go. That will leave room for new adventures!

4 Likes

4 Likes

Yep, I ran mine out to ~255k miles, original engine, rebuilt transmission at about the halfway mark.

Unfortunately it got to the point where I was slowly dealing with the Volvo wagon of Theseus, and it eventually just made sense to transition to actually getting a new vehicle, not just slowly building one in an old shell.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.