End #vanlife

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/31/end-vanlife.html

17 Likes

Not surprising that the van reached the end of its service but at least it was well loved and traveled :smiley:

8 Likes

Even though the van was German, this still applies:

1 Like

regaurds.

Hopefully the song was My Way

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I’ll say it clear
I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain
I’ve lived a life that’s full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

12 Likes

Sic transit gloria Westfalia…

12 Likes

I feel for you. My “Westfalia” was a Volvo 240dl wagon that was a hand me down that I drove through the second half of high school, through college and Vet school, then through almost the first decade out of school. That thing went places that a 4 cylinder station wagon had no business going, but made it through, and made for some really fun memories (including being chased by an angry bull down a rutted dirt road).

15 Likes

Vanagone.

So say we all.

7 Likes
5 Likes

I know it can never have the same soul, but I’ve been really happy with my AWD Toyota van. Take out the middle seats and it has so much room for sleeping. We took it hunting and it does great off road. I pull trailers. It’s the only one with AWD.

3 Likes

sorry for your loss. i enjoyed reading about your #vanlife.

4 Likes

We just got a brand new '95 Eurovan, but we’ve only been able to take it on one trip so far. In a few more years the kids will be out of the house and the wife and I will be empty nesters. I’m really looking forward to some road trips in this thing.

6 Likes

I almost shat myself in that van!

18 Likes

I feel for you. I had a 1974 Safari conversion Bus (they have a hard fiberglass extended top, not a pop-up). Many camping trips and Dead shows. It became too unreliable for family transport, so it sat in my driveway. Every month or so somebody would knock on my door and demand I sell it to them. I sold it to a hippy who just gushed over it. I knew he would love it, so I sold it to him for about a third of what it was worth.

8 Likes

6th-doctor-okay-weird|nullxnull

19 Likes

Where “van toilets” never perfected?
Definitely a harsh on that vibe.

So sorry for your loss

2 Likes

:cry:

16 Likes

They say things are just things, but when you pack that many memories in and around a thing, it grows a beating heart. We bought a piece of property and have been fantasizing about living on it in a camper until we can get some sticks and roof together. This obituary is inspirational.

8 Likes

Condolences on your loss. A couple years ago had to let go of my beloved Saturn that I got new and drove for 16 years. Just couldn’t get parts for it anymore (and I still curse GM to this day for discontinuing the Saturn line. I mean, really, who wants a frikkin’ Buick??) At least you have good memories. Best wishes to you.

2 Likes