Enjoy 90 minutes of creepy vintage Disney cartoons for Halloween

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/23/enjoy-90-minutes-of-creepy-vintage-disney-cartoons-for-halloween.html

5 Likes

Got “The Skeleton Dance”? Ain’t worth crap if “The Skeleton Dance” isn’t on there.

3 Likes

The post contains two videos. One is the first seven minutes of Disney’s Halloween Treat in good quality. Unfortunately, the remaining parts don’t seem to be around.

The second video seems to contain a rejiggered version of DHT. It’s longer than the original broadcast and doesn’t start the same. (I’m guessing it’s from the late ‘80s - early ‘90s due to the appearance of Roger Rabbit.) Unfortunately, the video quality really, really sucks.

1 Like

Are you an orthodox Halloweenist who only watches the original 1929 black & white release, or are you a member of a reform congregation that also recognizes the remastered 1937 color version?

7 Likes
6 Likes

True horrors await in the Disney vault.

2 Likes

I am an orthodox Halloweenist who only watches the original 1929 black & white release. The 1937 color version is blasphemous heresy.

1 Like

Ub Iwerks was godly.

1 Like

Ub Iwerks did both versions, though the 1937 remake was created through Columbia not Disney. It was also called “Skeleton Frolic” rather than “The Skeleton Dance” but I doubt they were really fooling anyone.

3 Likes

I love the way inanimate objects were alive in Iwerks’ and other old timey cartoons.

Both those skelly cartoons of his are wonderful.

1 Like

Iwerks really had a thing for dancing skeletons. Here’s another one of his from 1932:

2 Likes

1 Like

I knew there was another one. Thanks for reminding me!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.