Enjoy watching this fancy smartphone car entry system fail utterly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/26/enjoy-watching-this-fancy-smar.html

3 Likes

Obviously that needs some more work; but not all innovations fail.

11 Likes

Analogue, you say? What sorcery is this?

6 Likes

Reminds me of witnessing a Tesla owner in my old neighborhood accidentally leave his driver-side door wide open… Apparently if you unlock the car and then open the front-trunk and shut it, the car thinks you’re about to get in the car, so it opens the driver door for you. Only this time, guy was just put something in the trunk and then turned around and left, not noticing that his door had slowly opened on its own. Over-engineered nonsense.

14 Likes

I remember Grampa telling me how people used to chew their food with their teeth in order to prepare it for digestion.

7 Likes

I guess that is some ultra-luxury S/X feature. Model 3 just has phone-bluetooth-is-key and it is one of the most convenient niceties I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

2 Likes

And if I’m walking to my car in a dark parkade, can I use the phone to stab an attacker? Or is that only available in the paid version?

5 Likes

Just keep a spare car key taped to the back of your phone case. Problem solved!

8 Likes

I’d be happy if the common smartkey fob was something that could be implanted under the skin. Except that my cars are all antique and use tiny metal shards to unlock the doors, whenever I can be bothered to lock them, which is not at all. For that matter, one of my cars didn’t come with door locks from the factory.

4 Likes

After a quick google, I guess the feature is called “self-presenting doors” and is available on the model X premium package, so I assume it’s a pricey addition. And I think I was wrong about being related to the trunk - apparently it just opens when you approach the car… In the case I witnessed, the owner wasn’t getting in the car, just the front trunk, but it still opened the door anyway.

2 Likes

But how do you update the firmware on the shards? Are they bluetooth? :wink:

6 Likes

A solution without a problem. Like most of consumer electronics design these days. My 2019 car has a fob that allows me to enter any of the car’s doors, including the trunk, if it’s in my pocket. I guess that’s not lux enough.

1 Like

Serrated Handheld Infiltration Tool

6 Likes

Snap your phone in their face and let the glass shards fly forth.

Don’t leave home without one.

6 Likes

I love how the dude immediately intervenes as if the woman wasn’t holding the phone at just the right angle for the NFC/BT to work.

15 Likes

The same smart-open feature has a matching smart-lock feature which closes and locks the doors when there is no key in range. Possibly you didn’t wait to see that, or the operator had turned off that option.

2 Likes

Usually a good idea to mark them clearly, though, so that thieves spend a minimum amount of time digging around in your body to find them…

3 Likes

And then he proceeded to hold the phone in the same ways…

5 Likes

I was hoping that he finally smashed the phone against the door handle.

1 Like