Enter to win a free streaming device plus 1 year of free service

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/27/enter-to-win-a-free-streaming.html

“open to all legal residents of the United States who are eighteen (18) years of age or older as of the date of entry”. Bah.

(Also, “$0 value” ?)

2 Likes

Boingboing: Internet of things and the cloud are bad.
Also Boingboing: Enter to win a free streaming device plus 1 year of free service.

2 Likes

I think that language is so you can’t demand cash instead of the prize. Cash would cost them more money than the wholesale value of the prize and have less publicity value.

This appears to be a terrific way to use a $20 fire TV stick and a free trial membership to gather thousands of opted-in email addresses and targeting cookies!

2 Likes

leading to bitter nights filled with missed content.

Or not. Your mileage may vary, but with a zillion ways to entertain ourselves these days, I really don’t feel the loss of any streaming service. I mean, sure, I’d probably enjoy the new Star Trek shows on the CBS streaming platform, but I’m neither bitter nor suffering from missing out on them.

1 Like

Internet of things is a very VERY different beast than streaming channels. One is a shit storm of bad security protocols, the other is corporate mega-corps parting us from our dollars so we can watch another season of The Great Survivor Bake Off on Tattoine, featuring Captain America and Mrs. Maisel (or at least this is how I envision our future programming once the streaming wars are done and Borgsney has absorbed all the rest of the entertainment industry).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.