Equifax is going to rip you off again

In the end, it probably won’t be a check. It will be a certificate worth $2.11 good towards credit monitoring at… Equifax!

Regarding if I’m curious if I’m in the class, I went here as listed in the FAQ:
https://eligibility.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/en/eligibility

It shows that I was not affected by the breach. Therefore, I am not in the class, and therefore, if later it turns out that my info was breached, then I guess I suddenly am part of the class? How that that be if I don’t have to opt out because I’m not ‘affected’? But later, I find that I was affected?

This really sucks. On a lot of levels.

1 Like

they’re trying to talk more people into taking the “free credit monitoring”.

After the first “breach” and the free credit monitoring expired, all I got (and still get) was bombarded by affiliate offers. Nothing is ever free, except the no-lube pounding my arse gets from another digital maven extorting my personal info.

Exactly. To be honest, I’m reluctant to claim either as doing so means I give up my right to sue later, and between $125 or having my credit monitored (data collected for 20 years), I’m happy to do nothing.

1 Like

If you’re not in the class that’s been identified to the court, they can’t add you back in if they discover you were affected. The settlement is only a settlement with members of the class. If they missed you in the class somehow, the settlement is not with you, therefore you don’t have to opt-out of the class… you were never IN the class.

I think it’s a good point, though, to think about whether you’re likely to actually exercise your right to sue them. It also sounds like there’s a separate provision for people who actually suffered a documented loss (identity theft, presumably) due to the breach. I can’t find any information about whether the $31M cap applies to that provision – if you can document losses of $X, it’s hard to imagine that they’d be liable for 1/10th of X just because a lot of people filed. I also saw that you can file claims against the settlement indefinitely for losses that are discovered after the fact. Would it make sense to claim your “flat rate” now, even if reduced, then file again if you discover an actual loss in the future?

I dont blame Equifax for ripping me off again. I blame the FTC for the crappy deal they struck with Equifax.

Thanks, lambaste. I would really like to believe you are wrong. I am to cynical, I guess, to doubt your account.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.