Claiming your $125 from Equifax is a "moral duty"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/26/soak-em.html

6 Likes

Looks like most of us can’t even get the $125.

1. Free Credit Monitoring or $125 Cash Payment. You can get free credit monitoring services. Or, if you already have credit monitoring services, you can request a $125 cash payment.

• If you already have credit monitoring services that will continue for at least 6 more months, you may be eligible for a cash payment of $125.
7 Likes

There are lots of free credit monitoring services out there. Some credit cards offer them to cardholders for free too.

13 Likes

My bank does credit monitoring for checking account holders so do others. So do a lot of credit card companies. Plus there are tons of free ones that kind of suck but meet the requirements for this.

6 Likes

Yup, took less than 3 minutes to fill out.

8 Likes

I checked and was told this: Based on the information you provided, our records indicate that your personal information was not impacted by this incident. Equifax has worked hard to make the “Am I Impacted” tool as accurate and up-to-date as possible.
I don’t know if they are trustworthy enough to accept their determination, but I can’t file a claim unless Equifax determines my data was compromised.

21 Likes

Done! I’m also getting $185 from some other class-action I was totally unaware of until they contacted me, something about my debit card having been over-charged for gas at Arco.

12 Likes

The chances of getting that within a decade or so, or slim to zero.
Remember the starkist tuna class action? Anyone get their free tuna coupons or 50 dollars?

Anyone get their replacment fire extimquishers from that class action yet?
nope…and nope.

4 Likes

Yeah, my wife didn’t qualify either. I have a very small sample size (my wife and a few VIPS at work that I helped through this when it was announced) but the people that weren’t identified in the original tool aren’t identified as eligible here either. I would rather have my data not be breached than get $125. Here I am hoping for some money though.

1 Like

I got my fire extinguishers actually! Also I sued Equifax in small claims court, won, and they paid me $690. You can’t win if you don’t play. :moneybag:

37 Likes

Check your credit cards and banks, many of them already are doing this for free. Chase and Discover both do this already either by default or at least free if you ask them. And since your credit card company already has all of your personal information, it doesn’t involve yet another sketchy third party monitoring service keeping a database on you. Chase is also the issuer for tons of “loyalty” cards like amazon’s so lots of people are already getting credit monitoring from them even if their card doesn’t say chase on it.

If you don’t have any other monitoring service, you can sign up for a free one, but that has risks of its own.

3 Likes

It’s only a matter of time before someone with a long list of stolen Social Security numbers starts trying to claim these payouts in bulk the same way criminals try to fraudulently claim other people’s tax refunds. Don’t be that person!

This :arrow_up: . Don’t let them take you twice.

ETA: I just filed my claim for the cash by check option. Very easy.

7 Likes

If you do the division $125.00 only pays out 248,000 people. If 496,00 file you get 62.50. If everyone who was impacted file 130 million, it would be much less. I vote for the credit monitoring for 10 years and filing for the time it took me to do credit freezes.

It told me I wasn’t eligible as well.

I just filed and opted for the $125 by check… thanks, Cory.

3 Likes

Its 2.4 million, not 245,000 for the base settlement amount, but if more than 2.4 million claim they have to add at up to $175m more, enough to pay out 3.8 million people. Which is still a laughably small fraction of the total victims, but we should at least make sure that they have to pay the full amount.

11 Likes

Cory’s article reminded me to check for my child as well.

Thanks Equifax, you doxxed an underage child!

17 Likes

That’s what I’ve been told…sue them in small claims court you might see your money. Get on the class action…it could be years and years.

1 Like

I have been waiting for that payment since i first joined the class like five years ago. I forget about it until these random occasions where it pops up

2 Likes

Is this for Americans only only?
It allowed applications from many countries. I selected Canada and it didn’t ask for Social Security #.

1 Like